MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Old machete

I am seeking information on an old machete and would like to locate another one if possible for my son. The blade is marked Briddell, Made in USA ,No. 1124 and has an eagle stamped into it. It is 29"overall and weighs about 2 lbs. I know it isn't worth much to anyone else, but I have had it for 35 years. Any information as to the manufacture, etc. would be appreciated. I would also appreciate any tips as to how I might locate more of these old machetes, regardless of condition.

Thanks,
Dal
Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Blade's guide to Knives lists Briddell as a maker of USMC Bolos on page 372. Goin's encyclopedia of cutlery markings list Charles D. Briddell Inc. Chrisfield MD. from 1936 to 1950 in Chrisfield Maryland. Things like that eventually turn up on Ebay if you search there over a long period of time. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

I appreciate the quick and thorough reply. This machete is differfent from most I've seen. It has an upturned tip and is fairly long and heavy. As a tool, it chops well but will wear you out fairly quickly due to it's weight and length. It is just nostalgic for my son and I as I acquired it when I was a kid.
I will continue to watch Ebay. Thanks again, Dal
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Registered

I have the same machete you described. Only mine has the number 126. Can you tell me anything them? what are they worth? Bill

Tags
blade, cutlery, knife, knives, machete