MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-17-2001, 11:54 PM
Vaquero57

homemade 1x30

Check out my new 1x30 I built today. I was also gonna build my 2x72 but ran out of time. It is scavenged from an old homemade deer stand that used 1" steel square tubing. No tracking adjustment on this one. Everything just welded and bolted square and shimmed to perfection. Runs straight and true. Everything was free. This grinder cost me $0 for everything. My 2 x 72 when I get it made I will post too. It is being made out of and old excercise bike. The type that lifts your body weight. It is also square steel tube only larger. I may bolt the seat on it for comfortable grinding. When it is done I will show you guys. Meanwhile enjoy the pics of this one. I feel like bragging but won't as I am very proud. This one should last a lifetime. Cory
albums.photopoint.com/j/A...a=11629093
Old 02-19-2001, 09:45 AM
Sweany

re

Clay, I like it. :
Old 02-19-2001, 09:17 PM
Geno

Re: homemade 1 x 30

Hey Cory, congrats.
It looks strong enough but we'll have to teach you about that tracking wheel adjustment. Moving the belt back and forth will be necessary as your belts get older. Not all belts track the same or wear evenly. It's probably not a big deal with this one, but your 2 x 72 is gonna need it.
Koval catalog has an adjustable tracker wheel assembly for sale already made up. just drill bolt holes for it & mount. Its heavy duty and should last fine. the pictures will probably show you how to build your own but it's not expensive.
Happy grinding.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:43 PM
Vaquero57

Re: homemade 1 x 30

Gene, I know how to build several tracking mechanisms and my 2x72 will have one. I never had one on my first home built 1x30 and never had any problems although it was a three wheel and one wheel had lips on it. I suspect this will work alright but if not I can always put a tracking mechanism on it later. Cory