MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM
Skilled

All in all, it's still a kick ass knife!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM
Skilled

On the kit knives, I don't think Randall shaped any of the hardware. So if it's a kit, they shaped the hilt correctly. Maybe it was bought, rehandled later...Too many possibilities. If it's Maroon, it's rehandled, unless the blade was in the bin for a long time. Then you have to explain the sheath. If it's brown, it fits.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Sam
Old 01-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Skilled

You could purchase "KIT" knives in any stage of completion back in the 60's, and those early blades were not etched with KIT. The shop would solder the hilts on the finished blades if needed. You didn't have to receive a finished blade either.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Skilled

I just spoke to the recent owner of this knife that sold it last time. 2 things. He thought it could possibly be brown Micarta , but erred on side of caution and listed it as maroon. He wasn't sure.
The buttcap is solid on back. No exposed tang with nut, not peened. Has the shop been known to do these custom orders this way? I guess it was threaded and screwed on?
Scott, do you have an opinion on this one? Shop done or rehandled? Maroon or Brown? What of the different color sequence of the spacers?
Thanks, Sam
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill for that info.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Steel Addict

IMO, it is a KIT knife, blade and lug original but rehandled at a much later date to Maroon Micarta...
Old 01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Skilled

Thank you Scott, I appreciate your opinion. Yours too Bill and Jack.
Sam
Old 01-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Skilled

For comparison here is a kit Bowie knife with spacers that seem to be somewhat similar. This one is paired with an old Moore sheath but I think the knife is at least 10 years newer than the sheath... It is still a cool chopper-whacker.

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-31-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:58 PM
Skilled

That's an interesting kit knife Jack. Yours? Paired with a Moore sheath...classy!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Skilled

No Sam, not mine, just some pictures I saved from a few years ago when I was looking at Bowie dating, something that had not been examined very deeply.. I also think I have pictures of your knife WITH the script A, but will have to look into archives. If I find them I'll post...

I looked through my archives and found this. I made up this construct picture back whenever this knife first appeared and I began researching it... probably about 4 years ago. I apparently deleted all the supporting photos, but this construct shows the original butt with the Alabama script A, and the knife and sheath as it existed then. Note the lack of a girdle strap at that time on the sheath. The original owner was a N. Alabama resident and was an Alabama fan according to information from his family.

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-31-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 PM
Skilled

Thanks Jack. Yes, I remember that knife as well with the 'Bama monogram. On this recent auction, I had noticed on the sheath keeper strap a black/dark brown button, which obviously that keeper is not original. Probably NOT a vintage glove snap as they used when they ran out of the brown buttons.

I haven't scrutinized many finger groove handles, but this one looks like the maker came around a bit too far in the groove closest to the butt.

Finally, I don't recall Randall doing butt caps that weren't either peened or fastened with a nut.
I recall an early experimental screw on butt cap, otherwise no.

So, after seeing the butt cap on this Confederate Bowie without a peen or nut, that was an indicator of being a kit knife. I guess it possible that a shop Knife maker could have done it as a one off, but I don't think we will ever know.

Have you seen any examples of shop made butt caps that were screw on?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Skilled

I've never seen a screw on butt cap on a Randall.

I wonder if the retainer on this knife is a countersunk "reverse tang nut" with the slotted nut portion covered after installation by the decorative brass plate that originally had the "A" on it? There were several Randall Bowies about 1960 that featured this type of retainer (but were not covered by decorative plates). I never understood why Randall experimented with that system, discarded it, and then went back to it 12 years later.

When you get the knife, carefully examine the edge of the butt to see if there is evidence of the plate being installed after the handle was finished. Might be interesting.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 AM
Skilled

Here is the link to the conversation on the screw on butt cap.

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbth...&Number=135533

I did win the auction, but declined to take possession, as the knife was not correctly described. It was sold a number of months ago by another seller who described it as maroon Micarta, indicating that it had been rehandled. Maroon is not original to this knife/sheath combo. Plus the current seller has a 10% restocking policy.
I understand the "A"monogram was professionally ground off and repolished. Interesting concept you have about a plate installed over a reverse tang nut.
Regards, Sam
Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Skilled

Take a look at this close-up pic Jack. Do you see an edge where a thin brass plate could be joined to the butt cap?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Skilled

I have been looking at so many Randall vintage 60's knives that were made with brown Micarta, and there are so many shades. What do you think of this one, brown or maroon? What's your opinion on vintage brown Micarta?

Compare with this vintage 14 brown Micarta.

Last edited by samg; 02-01-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Tags
bee, blade, block, bowie, build, custom, etched, grip, handle, kit, kit knife, knife, knives, made, micarta, post, randall, sheath, shop, show, spacer, spacers, stone, tang, thickness