MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Skilled

A Hero Has Fallen

Capt. Chris (strongly) suggested that re-post this here. He has an idea for a "Randall-related" way to help. This is important!

A friend of mine was murdered for few bucks? cash.

John Bean and his wife Janet have been the owners of a Shreveport, LA landmark restaurant and for about 30 years. Kerby K?s restaurant has been a legend since the 1930?s. It has been written up in many food and travel magazines for the unique food and service.

Herby K?s is located on the wrong side of the tracks in Shreveport. It wasn?t always that way; the town just grew toward the other direction. As much as I have enjoyed eating and visiting there over the last thirty years I try to leave before sundown. Three months ago a ?crack head? (my description) entered the restaurant and demanded cash from the till. John was not the kind of man to give in to a punk. He wrestled the punk to the floor. John was shot twice in the gut during the fight. The punk fled with a handful of cash. John died shortly after being taken to the emergency room.

By his own admission John did not know how to do much more than entertain friends, shuck oysters and fly helicopters. He learned how to shuck oysters at Herby K?s after he married Janet. He learned how to fly helicopters on Uncle Sam?s dime before he went to Viet Nam. John flew medivac Huey?s during his tours. He was responsible for many of our soldiers and Marines making it back home. ?Charlie? could not bring John down. A street punk did it for a few bucks.

The Shreveport Police Department has run out of leads. Assistance Chief Mike Vansant has arranged for a reward fund. He has ask me to get the word out to folks that knew and loved John and to others that did not know him but want to see a hero honored by the capture of his killer. If you can send $10, $50 or $100 some homey will rat out the punk and justice will come to John?s murderer. Chief Vansant can be contacted here:

Mike.Vansant@ci.shreveport.la.us

The Shreveport Times article about John?s funeral can be read here:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...0/BREAKINGNEWS

If you would like to know more about Herby K?s just Google "Herby K's".

****Captain Adrian Johngene "John" Bean Jr. was awarded the ?Distinguished Flying Cross? for his heroism during the Viet Nam War.****

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)

Last edited by tomthbomb; 10-14-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm very sorry to learn about the recent murder of your friend John. It's a terrible loss of someone who sounds like he was a great guy. I feel for his family.

What can one say? We live in a world where life is cheap to too many scumbags.

Sincerely,

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 10-14-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 PM

Tom,

He may have fallen, but he has also risen. My condolences to his family and friends. You may have thought of this already, but what about bringing this tragedy to the attention of "America's Most Wanted"? You can't get better exposure than that.

Best,

Ron
Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Skilled

Cool What can we do?

My fellow Randall freaks,
This story is disturbing, for a number of reasons. The inability of law enforcement to get a handle on violent...hell "any" kind of crime, at times is upsetting. The worthlessness of this act. The tragic ending, not only for the victim, but his family as well. Most importantly to me is the fact that this guy made a difference, particularly in his "Previous" profession: Helping save lives in a combat zone, while risking his.
So: What can we do? Well a few of us can send a few bucks to the effort..That would help. I have been in contact with the moderators about an idea for a Randall knife raffle. While this is still in the planning stages, and we want no one to think we are going to start taking up every "cause" out there, we will consider this one. I will keep ya'll posted. I'm thinking along the lines of a silent raffle. Anyone who wishes to contribute, say $25.00, would get there name thrown in the hat one time. $50.00...2 times. I'll take care of the finances. You folks can make payment to me and I will pull the lucky number out of my boonie cap. If any of you have a better idea of how to run such a thing, email me at: CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com.
This is not sanctioned by this knife network or this forum or the moderators, but we can post up here and talk about it. So: What does the lucky person, whose name get drawn receive? I have been thinking about that. How about a Randall knife? How about a "Stanaback Special, Limited", One of two hundred. Moosehead just posted pics of his. I can have one ready in about 3 months, or so. It values at over $500.00!! Someone could receive this for a $25.00 donation! The more money you send in..The more chances, hence the better chance you have of winning! All proceeds would be sent to the Shreveport P.D., in the name of the Randall collector's of this forum.
Anyway: I am sorry for the loss of Tom's friend and, if you all think this is a good odea, get in touch. I will talk it over with the mods and we'll let you know the "nuts and bolts" of it. Respectfully submitted, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Sounds great!

I'm in!

RKS #5224
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

...Great idea Captain, count me in !

Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Steel Addict

I'm in Cap..... we did the same thing on another forum for the Red Cross when our friends (present company included) in Florida were be repeatedly spanked by the hurricanes a couple of years ago....

We raffled a 10-3 for $600 plus....... your special should pull a much more. I think our own Snakeman won that one!

Let me know when you are ready...... I'll prime the pump with $100.

Thanks Cap,
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Steel Addict

Capt.

I'm with Tune put me down for a $100.00.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Skilled

Ideas and $$$$

Thanks folks for the positive feedback and private emails as well. A lot of folks writing me are thanking me for this. The short answer is: I believe somebody would have stepped up anyway..and no accolades are needed...BUT, Thanks to you very much anyway. I would ask that everyone show their support or discontent about this idea on the forum. That way all folks will get to see if the support is over-whelming...or not.
I would also ask that all of you, in the future, "not" publically list the amount of your very generous offer. These offers are wonderful, very genuine and much appreciated. I just worry about the 'ol boy sitting there, watching this unfold, and not being well enough healed or rollin' in the chips to match these offers. If someone can just come up with $25.00 and that's all they can afford....That's a lot!! This undertaking is meant to include everyone, regardless of what their W-2 form says!!
Mitchell: I remember, very well, your fine idea during the disaster we all felt "hard" down here. To be honest with you, I did not think about it until you reminded us, but this is quite a bit the "same thing". I think this one will be more personable, being as how a friend of our Randall "network" is personally involved, so to speak, and folks that he knows personally can stand to have a better life and closure directly due to a small thing we can do.
I really do not want anyone to hop on board just beacause "I" feel this is a good idea...Do it, folks...because "YOU" feel it is a good idea. If someone has a problem with me handling the money...FINE...Come up with a solution. Nobody has stated this, so far, but I am not offended if someone else feels this way. I'll let this thing run a day or so, then get with the mods and hammer it out.
Again: Thank you very much for your support so far. and, again..Best, The "Captain"

Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt,

I'm in. I will get a money order off to you today. My heart goes out to the family and friends.

Kent

RKS# 109
Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Skilled

Capt. Chris,
Thanks for doing this!
You know I am in.

RKS #4868
NRA & TSRA Life Member
Deep East Texas Life Resident (so far)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds good
I'm in..

Jeff
RKS 1700
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Skilled

Thanks

Everybody,
Thanks for the 100% positive support. We are going to do this thing, I am sure. I am off to the Tulsa Gun and Knife show. It is open to the public Sat. and Sun. Ya'll come, if you can get a chance...plenty of Randall stuff going on!! I'll check in from the "road" somewhere. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

Thanks for heading up this effort. My donation is in the postal service headed your way.
Tom P.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Skilled

Let's roll!!

Everyone,
I have just returned from the Tulsa show...It was great!! I am behind, but this project heads up the list. I have emailed "all" moderators and they, to the man, have given the green light!! SO....LET'S ROLL!!
Thank all of you for your 1000% support for this idea and hopefully this successful undertaking. I have already received monies from some of you. You know who you are and I thank you. I feel we should limit this undertaking to 2 weeks, as time is of the essence.
O.K. Anyone wishing to have their name thrown in the hat can send me $25.00 per entry to:

CAPTAIN CHRIS STANABACK
P.O. BOX #100
KENANSVILLE, FL. 34739
My email is: CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com
PHONE # is: 1-407-436-1113

All I can promise ya'll is that everyone will be counted and the proceeds will go to the Shreveport P.D. The winner will be announced shortly after this 2 weel period ends. Anyone who has a friend or relative who is not a member of this forum but wishes to help can send in their $25.00 (or whatever) with their own chances and indicate who the money is from. I will log your friend's chances in seperately and try to keep up with "who knows who".
I will donate the proceeds in the name of this forum. I think that about covers it. We can all choose the "NUMBER" from some available for this "Stanaback Special, Ltd.". More on that as we go. I am leaving tomorrow morning (that's right..I just got home and I'm off again) for the hunting camp in Alabama, but I'll keep ya'll updated...I promise..Thanks to all of ya' for making this possible. I hope and pray that it works...and I "know" we will all feel like a better person for our efforts. PLUS: Somebody's gonna get a nice Randall!! Good luck to all!! Let the games begin. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Tags
knife