MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Skilled

New prototype finished

This is my third completed knife. This one is 1095 steel, about a 3 1/2" blade and approximate 4" birdseye maple scales. I hand finished to 600 grit and put a very light wood stain on it before several coats of boiled linseed oil. Also hand finished the blade to 600 grit and finished with a scotch brite pad.
Biggest "cootie" I see is I overdrilled the hole for the brass lanyard tube and you can see the epoxy line. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome.

These are the first three completed knives. All are 1095 steel. I've profiled some of these in 440C but I'll send them out for heat treating.

The one on the top was the first completed knife. I made multiple cuts through cardboard, whittled down a 2 x 4, batoned though some seasoned oak firewood with a piece of 2" seasoned oak kindling, then whittled that stick of kindling to a point, ended with whittling several sticks to points. There was no chipping of the blade edge nor curling or bending. Outside of scratches on the blade there was no damage. Two-three dozen passes on a fine stone put a reasonably sharp edge back on the blade. It seemed difficult to get the initial edge on the blade and I thought perhaps it was too hard. But the results of the tests on this blade were positive overall.

I now have some 1094 steel and will make the next batch of blades from that.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Skilled

Oh and as a PS, I really, REALLY look forward to the day I have something other than a 1x30 cheap-o belt grinder!
Old 12-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Skilled

I like them, good work. I see you play around a little with the handle design, now lets see a little blade variation. I like the pin placement, its different but it works. On your first one it doesnt look like you over drilled the holes, it looks like you got the pins too hot when you ground them back and they burned the wood around the pins. Go slow when grinding the pins to avoid this. Nice work for your first knives.

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 12-22-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks good. You are probably overheating the handle pins as they appear to have dark circles around then on the light colored handle. Could be glue, I suppose, but in that case you might want to try a different glue...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
I like them, good work. I see you play around a little with the handle design, now lets see a little blade variation. I like the pin placement, its different but it works. On your first one it doesnt look like you over drilled the holes, it looks like you got the pins too hot when you ground them back and they burned the wood around the pins. Go slow when grinding the pins to avoid this. Nice work for your first knives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Looks good. You are probably overheating the handle pins as they appear to have dark circles around then on the light colored handle. Could be glue, I suppose, but in that case you might want to try a different glue...
You know I didn't think about that but I think you're both correct. I used gorilla glue brand epoxy amd it cures pretty clear so the color isn't from the epoxy.
Thanks for the input!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Skilled

I have been making knives for 2 years now and I only use a 1x30 !!
Once you have learned the "feel" of that speed, your work will come out
much better than you would think.
I just finished a 15.5" Bowie for Ray's KITH on that 1x30
Good luck and have fun !!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Steel Addict

Nice work goater! I like them shapes of those knives.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolQs View Post
I have been making knives for 2 years now and I only use a 1x30 !!
Once you have learned the "feel" of that speed, your work will come out
much better than you would think.
I just finished a 15.5" Bowie for Ray's KITH on that 1x30
Good luck and have fun !!

Well that's encouraging! I've had a difficult time grinding by hand with that little grinder so I built a little jig and I've done better with it. I'm also learning to take my time and not force things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeterson View Post
Nice work goater! I like them shapes of those knives.
Thanks. I want to build a knife that is aesthetically pleasing, purely functional, and ergonomically comfortable. Those handles, especially the bottom two are pretty comfortable in the hand. By the way, I checked out your FB page. Nice looking knives!
Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Very nice work for the first three. You are far ahead of the power curve. You will also do well to keep working on similar style and size until you have a good bit of experience under the belt. This is about the perfect size knife to start with and build your skills.

Tags
1095, 440c, back, belt, blade, blades, brass, edge, epoxy, grinder, hand, heat, knife, knives, lanyard, linseed oil, made, make, maple, scales, sharp, steel, stone, whittling, wood