MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Thumbs up Newbies! Grizzly grinder on Sale!

There have been many discussions on these forums concerning what is the best grinder for a Newbie to get and there are many opinions and all of them have merit.

A great many knifemakers have started with the Grizzly Knifemaker's grinder. Even after they upgrade to a $2000 grinder most of them keep their Grizzly for profiling . They are extremely powerful and reliable and they are on sale at a price that might very well never be seen again.

Even at the current price of $350 these grinders represent the most grinder you can get for the money. They may not be as well built as some other two wheel designed grinders but the Grizzly comes complete and ready to use with a motor which other more expensive two wheelers do not. The Griz even has a buffer built in for free.

From now until close to the end of the year the Grizzly Knifemaker's grinder is on sale for $275. This is the price I paid for mine about 8 years ago. Grizzly has announced that due to the rising cost of steel and cast iron all of their machines with have a price increase at the end of this year. So, it sounds to me like we'll be wishing the price was back to the $350 level by next year.

This is a real 2x72" style knife grinder, not one of those puny 1x30" or 1x42" jobs that just won't get the job done. Do yourself a favor and check it out:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1015

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Living Legend

There've been one helluva lot of knives built on Grizzly grinders..... I've considered getting one for the hotshop even though I have a Bader and a KMG in the basement.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Guru

I have a Grizzly and love it. I have no complaints whatsoever. Maybe someday when I have the money ill get a KMG but untill then im totally happy with my Grizzly.

Shane
Old 05-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to singertat2 Send a message via Yahoo to singertat2
that's great!!!!! that fit's right within my knifemakin budget right now!! wow thanks a whole lot ray for tha heads up!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Skilled

My new Grizzly just arrived last week and I finished the first knife on it yesterday.

Very powerful motor. Only wish it had a variable speed control. Good quality machine to be made in China-ville.

There is a photo of the knife I made on it listed in the "Display Case" forum. Look under "1st Post - 1st Look"

Roosko (Robert)
Old 06-20-2004, 02:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to prometheus
Thanks for the info I know will be getting one before the end of the summer.

William :cool:
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to JeridJohnson
Thumbs up

I gotta say that I have been more than pleased with my grizzly. It is definetly a workhorse and I am sure it will always find a job in my shop even if I upgrade to a fancier one later..

Here is a pic of my setup.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

I'm thinking of ordering one. Does it come with a belt? Also what is the best buffer to get with it? Where is the best place to buy belts for it? Thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It does come with a belt but it's a kind of weird one which you should probably just discard. You can get a few belts from any of the knife supply houses for convenience but Tru-Grit has the largest supply and variety of belts and better prices than the knife supply houses Their number is 800-532-3336

One buffer may not do you much good since you can only use one compound on each wheel. You can order a 6" or 8" sewn wheel if you want to but a lot will depend on what compounds you plan to use and whether you are buffing metal blades or handle materials. Use the Search key and study threads about belts and buffers so that you have an idea of what will suit your needs. Then, plan on trying different belts, buffers, and polishing compounds until you know what works for you. We all have to go through this cycle as it is nearly impossible to simply adopt the total process used by another knifemaker....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 07-01-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exude
I'm thinking of ordering one. Does it come with a belt? Also what is the best buffer to get with it? Where is the best place to buy belts for it? Thanks

Hi Exude, instead of buying a separate buffer, why not spend the money on an array of different buffing wheels and buffing compounds...also get a deburring wheel. Just be sure to keep each one in a separate ziplock bag to prevent cross contamination (although a lot of people don't worry about this). It's an easy chore to change out the buff on that Grizzly grinder. Heck, I've got two KMGs and I'm thinking about getting another Grizzly for my hot shop later in the year...

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 07-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Guru

Exude, it does come with a belt but its not worth much. You can get your belts from Pops or Tru grit. Either is very good to work with. Check the supply thread for the suppliers list and they both will be on there.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast

Darren, sorry for the mislead. I meant the wheels. I found the chart in grizzly's book that lists what wheels and compounds to use so I will go by that and get an assortment. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Only wish it had a variable speed control
actually, you can change speed on a grizzly to a degree. they have a 10" contact wheel in the catalog (separate purchase only- they won't trade out for the 8"). this will speed things up as the machine is direct drive.
rob frink also has an aluminum 4" drive wheel that slows things down substantially if you plan to do slack belt or flat grinding: beaumontmetalworks.com
for those planning to set up for buffing, koval's gives quantity discounts on buffs and compunds

Last edited by whv; 07-01-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Just picked mine up today.

Looking at pictures, I never had any idea how massive and sturdy it is.
What a beast!

Naturally after putting it together I had to put some steel to it.
Gone are the days of 1/4 hp Sears sander.
The sparks just FLEW!

I can't wait to start a new project on it.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
HELP!!!!

I cant find a single place that has 2"x42" belts!!!!

Lowes, Home Depot, Sears (where I bought the sander), Contractors Warehouse, Hunters hardware.....NONE HAVE IT. and the closes Tru-grit is in Ontario, hours from me.

help!

Tags
knife, knives