MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:51 PM
tmickley

For Bob: IMG stencil

Bob, just got my stencil supplies in from IMG. Have you come up with any ball park exposure or developement times?
I'm guessing the electrolyte I have from Marking Methods will work fine with the stencil but will try the others they sent also.

Old 03-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Bob Warner

Actually, I just walked back into the house after making a stencil.

Before you start, there is a thin clear film on BOTH sides of the stencil material. After you expose, you need to remove these prior to developing. If you have big meaty fingers full of callouses like I do, it can be easier to make a knife than remove these clear pieces of film. Make sure your stencil is bigger then the pad on your etcher.

I mixed up one half gallon of developer. I exposed for 1 minute and developed by taking a windex bottle and filing it with developer. Just spray the developer in a stream onto the logo, letting the developer drip back into the big container. You will see it wash out. When you hold it up to the light and look through it, you can tell when the letters are clean. They will look clean but if you try it, it may not work. That is because the logo is still not clean, keep spraying. Soon the logo will look really white (Clean), spray until the entire thing looks clean. Give it a try on some scrap material. The entire spraying process lasted about two minutes for me.

I used the electrolyte I already had and the etch turned out great.

These stencils are pretty thin. I doubt that they will hold up to deep etched (for long) and probably will not make 500 marks on 500 knives. But they will work well for probably 50-100 marks I would guess. The best thing is that you can make "Custom" marks any time you want.

Let me know how it works out.

Ok, now for the creativeness in you.

I used to just put the stencil in a small bowl of developer and swish it around to develop, this worked but the little corners and nooks and craneys were hard to get clean. I tried the spray and I like it better. So since there is a spray involved, my challenge is to find a good method to "Automate" the spraying. I am considering (READ: Thinking about doing after I get done with all of the other things I need to get done) making a developing container that has a way to suspend the exposed stencil in the air and spray from both directions by utilizing a car wildhield wiper fluid pump. Just put the stencil in and push a button for two minutes and you are done. Think about that and see if any designs come to mind. Maybe we can come up with something new.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:45 AM
J WORKMAN

ELECTRO-ETCH EXPOSURE UNIT

BOB
I SAW ONE OF THESE MACHINES IN A MAGAZINE
A WHILE BACK AND THOUGH THAT WOULD BE HANDY
TO HAVE. I CALLED ABOUT IT AND WHEN THEY
TOLD ME HOW MUCH I ALMOST FELL OUT OF MY
CHAIR THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE
OF HOW TO BUILD THIS EXPOSURE UNIT.
I AM GOING TO BUILD ONE AND WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
I ORDERED A CATALOG FROM IMG FOR SUPPLIES
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION ON WHAT I SHOULD GET.
I AM NEW TO THIS GROUP AND HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH THANKS AGAIN.

JEFF WORKMAN
Old 03-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Bob Warner

Re: ELECTRO-ETCH EXPOSURE UNIT

Jeff,

First let me welcome you here. Second, please register (it's free) so you can become a member of our little community.

You are welcome for the information. I am just happy there are people interested in creating their own tools.

What to get from IMG? You will need to determine your steel types to decide what electrolyte to use. IMG can assist with that, I heard they have a starter kit now that has small portions of several types. You will need unexposed stencil material (Blue) and the developer. Call Patricia and ask her advise, mention you heard of them through other knifemakers. I am hoping to get them catering to knifemakers and maybe give us a break on some of the prices.

What was the quote for the exposure unit? I am curious what they told you.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:15 PM
J Workman

They quoted me if I remember right between $1500.00-$2000.00. I am a member, but for some reason, other than forgetting my password, it is not allowing me to login. It is displaying error on page. I am using 440C stainless.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-10-2002, 12:19 PM
J Workman

Bob,

Just checked to see if my reply posted and now it says I am an Elite Member when I registered as a Basic Member.????

Jeff

Old 03-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Bob Warner

Re: reply

Everyone is an elite member unless they are a moderator or a founding member. You status is correct, we have no BASIC people here, everyone is Elite.

Pretty pricy contraption that can be replaced with a $5 light and some wood scraps, don't you think?

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:50 PM
J Workman

BOB
I CALLED THE COMPANY TO DAY THAT SELLES WHAT THAY CALL A STENCIL FABRICATOR FOR A PRICE ON THEAR MACHINE FOR ONE THAT MAKES 3X6 $600.00
AND FOR A 8X11 $1225.00
THANKS FOR SAVING ME BIG $$$$$$$
Old 03-12-2002, 06:46 AM
Bob Warner

Jeff,

That is what it is all about here at the CKD. My information may have saved you a few bucks and something you know will save someone else a few bucks or a few hours. Pretty soon, everyone is a little smarter and still has a lot of their money left in their own pocket.

Glad to have helped.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:13 PM
J Workman

Bob,

What computer program do you use when making your stencil art?

Thanks,
Jeff Workman

Old 03-14-2002, 06:55 AM
Bob Warner

I use Microsoft outlook for most of it. I also sometimes use a program called MGI Photo Suite (older version). You could probably use Microsoft Word if you wanted. I don't do a lot of "ART" but instead mostly just lettering and that can be done in almost any program.

What type of "ART" are you trying to create?
Old 03-15-2002, 04:25 PM
J Workman

Bob,

I was trying to curve my name. In Microsoft Word I found the WordArt that would allow me to do it. I finished building the exposure unit and ordered stencil material and developer. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks,
Jeff Workman

Old 03-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Bob Warner

Glad to hear you got it like you want it.

Let me know how it works out. Practice a few times on a scrap piece and then attack your knives.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:11 PM
tmickley

For those interested in making your own stencil of a logo, picture, initials, etc, you can buy clip art books from over Publications
There are dozens of clip art books that you can purchase with a CD. You can print the clip art on to an acetate overhead (from the office supply) and use it to create various stencils. The local Barnes and Noble carried several different titles.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:01 PM
J Workman

tmickley

Thanks for the tip an the clip art.

J Workman

Tags
forge, knife, knives