MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM

knife restoration

Is it better to restore knife blades or leave them as is?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

That's too general of a question to answer. If it's a antique collector's item then it is usually best to leave them in the state that they are in. In a case like that I would ask an appraiser for an opinion being that there can be exceptions. If it basically has no collectors' value and it's just a user, it will depend on what's needed.

If all it needed was a new handle, I would probably go for it. It would also depend on your skill level. Also removing a layer of rust can be pretty simple.

It would also make a difference if I was doing the work for myself rather than another person. I would tend to avoid that latter case.

Doug

Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM

knife restoration

I HAVE ABOUT 20 CASE ANTIQUE KNIVES RANGING FROM 1988 ALL THE WAY DOWN TO A 1920-1940 C-TESTED YELLOW HANDLE. NOW I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. FIRST, ALL OF THE KNIVES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE..I MEAN THE BLADES AREN'T BROKEN..SOME HAVE BLACK PLACES IN THEM BUT NOTHING MAJOR. OK MY FIRST QUESTION IS SHOULD I RESTORE THE BLADES IF THE BLADES ARE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE? nEXT QUESTION IS THE 1920-1940 C-TESTED YELLOW HANDLE HAS A CHIP IN THE HANDLE ON ONE END. CAN THAT MATERIAL ON THE HANDLE BE RESTORED?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP THAT YOU CAN GIVE ME.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I would definitely leave them alone unless someone who wanted to buy one asks you to try to restore it.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 PM

C-tested 1920-1940 yellow composite

Thank you ray. Do you know if my c-tested case 1920-1940 that has a chip in the handle can be restored?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Most anything can be restored but its really difficult to say it should be restored. In the end, it depends on how the buyer feels about it. If it isn't restored it may be worth less money than if it were still undamaged but if you do restore it then you have put time and materials into it so now you need a higher price that a collector may not feel is justified because it is no longer original. Tough choice. Generally, if you want to sell it then don't restore it - whatever price you get will be pure profit. If it doesn't sell in a year or two then consider restoring and trying again...

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Knife restoration

Thanks ray, i've decided to restore it because, i don't want to sell it. Now, who should i contact about replacing the handle?..any suggestions? Now, the knife handle material is 1920-1940 yellow composite. Can it even be replicated?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Good questions, sorry I can't answer them. I will say that there are two kinds of restoration. One is to restore with the idea of making the knife attractive and functional using whatever materials and methods you can for that project. The other is to restore with the intent of making the knife exactly as it was the day it left the factory. That last one requires a special skill set and access to a supply of materials that probably were collected over a life time - not many guys in that category. But, I have seen ads in the Classified section of Blade magazine for such services so you might check there. Don't forget to check the KNET classifieds too as some of our members might advertise such a service.

To answer a small part of your question, no, I don't think that handle material can be replicated with perfect accuracy. I base this on discussions I've seen and re-issue knives where people have said such materials were close, very close maybe, but not exactly the same. You'll probably have to replace both sides in order to conceal the fact that one side was replaced ...

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Steel Addict

If it's anything like collectable firearms something as someone as buffing a little rust off can completely destroy the value. Usually the only restoration that is even thinkable is a professional one back to factory new condition. It's hard to day what might be worth more to a certain individual, but in general if collector value is what matters they are probably best preserved as they are.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Knife restoration

Thank you cbsmith.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Knife restoration

Thank you guys for the infomation.

Tags
antique, back, blade, blades, collector, forge, handle, handle material, knife, knife handle, knives, make, making, material, materials, project, simple, supply