MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Skilled

Almost finished with 2nd knife-need opinions

Hey guys so I'm almost completely finished with my 3rd started knife and I was wondering if I should round the end of the handle near the blade or leave it flat the way it is. I'm really stuck and in need of a 2nd opinion. Unfortunately you can't un-sand the wood lol.

Thanks,
Hunter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130625_223835.jpg (151.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130625_223847.jpg (149.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Skilled

Yes, round it, or make a bevel out of it. Finish this end of the handle before epoxying everything together!

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Actually it's a little late for that. The rounding of the forward end pretty much needs to be done before the scales are attached. You could try to taper down the lead edge of the handle. This is best done with hand tool. Something like a rasp will do. Maybe even a bastard cut file.

Doug

Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Skilled

Ok I'd never heard that you needed to do that before putting the scales on. When I put those scales on they were literally two wooden blocks. Now will the handle look ok beveled even though the other end of the handle is round?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Skilled

It can be done after epoxying, but extreme care will be needed to keep from messing up the blade finish....

A quick browse through the display case shows several examples of ways to deal with the front end of the handle on a fulltang knife, I thought this one was nice, but this would have to be done before the scales are glued to the tang.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 AM

Cut a strip of aluminum flashing (or beer can) and form it around the blade at the handle and tape it up well. This will help protect it from miscreant file strokes and sanding blocks. Then carefully reshape, just don't try to do too much and stay away from the metal to wood junction - you can't do too much with that now without scratching the blade. You'll just have to be satisfied with breaking the corners and smoothing things up a little.
Next time shape and finish sand them on the leading edge before gluing up. Not a bad "learn" for just the second or third knife.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Skilled

At this stage I would just put a bevel (flat) on the end of that scale with the belt grinder.

I re-handled some old butcher knives as my first project and learned you have to get that ricasso end of the scale finished before gluing them up.

One suggestion to keep from getting that epoxy stuck on the blade at the ricasso. I tried the light coat of Vaseline trick, I tried the blue masking tape on the ricasso and bolster of the scale trick, but not with good results. What worked for me was to immediately remove excess glue with acetone on a Q-tip. I use Acraglas and just swabbed it off every few minutes for 20 minutes until the epoxy set and quit oozing out. Worked like a charm and the edge between the blade and scale looks immaculate.

I really like the shape of that blade and handle. Good work and good luck!

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Hall of Famer

When I am putting a radius on the end of a pair of scale blanks I use double stick tape to hold the scales in position to drill the pin holes. You can glue them in place to drill and break them free with a firm rap on the back edge of the handle but you might break out some of the back of the scale blanks and you will have a clean up to do. After I have both side done I remove the scale blanks and and use temporary pins to hold them together and cut the radius. You can use a saw, or a rasp. A power sander or grinder will work but you they have a tendency to burn the end grain. Doing this before hand will prevent marring the blade while putting a radius on the forward end of the scales.

You can also bevel the front edge of the at this time if you want. Just leave them pinned together so that you can see that your bevels are even.

Doug

Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Skilled

Ok thanks for the tips. I definitely learned something and I'm glad I posted. I'll post the finished product later today if everything goes as planned.

Tags
back, bevel, blade, coat, drill, edge, epoxy, file, flat, handle, knife, knives, make, pins, project, sand, scales, tips, wood