MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM

restoration

Ok the million dollar question from the new kid on the block, do I restore or not? I have talked with several and got a divided answer. Most say leave alone origional even if tarnished is much better that buffed and polished out. What seems the best answer so far was , if knife is damaged, sharpened down or broke restore it, if not damaged or broke leave it alone. As I said I am the new kid started collecting about a year ago. I buy what I like and not any 1 type or brand , if it looks neat I pick it up. Also looking for a good current price guide I have picked up several on E-Bay but the newest is from 1995. It seems easy to get info on Case and most big name knifes its the little brands I dont find much on. Thanks for letting me pick your brains I will be putting some pictures in soon This sight is just plain old sweet lots of stuff for experts and us beginners
Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

First of all, welcome to the forum. This particular forum is mostly populated with first time knife makers so you probably won't find much informed information on collectable knives here but we do have other forums here that might be helpful. Look for them on the drop down list at the end of this page.

Basically, the decision of whether or not to modify or restore an old knife comes down to whether or not the knife has any value to a collector and whether or not you like it/can use it as it is. Unless you're an expert at restoration don't even think about doing anything at all to a collectable knife. But, if it's a knife you use do whatever you think needs doing. You might notice here that I didn't say if your collectable is broken then you should fix it - if you want it to maintain its collectable status it would need to be repaired by someone well versed in restoration. But, just being old doesn't mean it's collectable - part of the trick is knowing the difference.

Get some knife magazines like Blade and Knives Illustrated. In there you'll find ads for price guides and books on knife collecting. Check out anything that has Bernard Levine's name on it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, block, brand, collecting, collector, easy, knife, knives