MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

rust

i have some welding projects coming up
lots of scrap metal
any suggestions rust removal pool acid maybe
if so i'd like to see some formulas
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 AM

Hey, I found something after all (reason for the deleted post above)

This is the best I could come up with. From "The Book Of Formulas, Recipies Methods & Secret Processes," prepared by the editorial staff of "Popular Science Monthly," 1932. Popular Science Publishing Co., Inc. 353 Fourth Avenue, New York 10, N.Y. (p. 149) Very cool old book. No longer in print and probably dated, but if you can find one in a used book store, it's a gem.

"To Remove Rust from Metals"

"#1--A solution of ammonium citrate is perhaps the best substance for removing rust from metals such as instruments, tools and machine parts. A tablespoonful of ammonium citrate disolved in a quart of hot water makes a solution that removes rust quickly and effectively. If cold water is used, the same amount of substance can be taken, but the length of time the articles are to be left in the solution should be increased. Rinse the cleaned objects in clear water and dry thoroughly, preferably with the aid of heat." p.149

You might check with a local chemical company about getting some ammonium citrate. Be sure to get the gov't spec sheet on that particular chemical, and read it carefully. Don't know what this stuff is, but if it will eat rust off of metal, it might be able to eat skin off of bones or eyeballs out of sockets, if you get my drift. Good luck. If you try it, let us know the results.

Last edited by Dana Acker; 08-20-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:41 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
If you're arc welding, there's no need to remove the rust. Of course, for painting...

Seriously, welding could care less if the part is rusty. It'll just burn off, melt in, or whatever Iron Oxide does.

Now if you're welding aluminum, you've got to get it as clean as possible. Wire-brushing immediately before performing the weld is a must.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-21-2004, 04:04 AM
Enthusiast

pool acid works pretty well;stinks too
about 35% sulfuric
havent found the other stuff yet

i might have guessed the arc would chew threw rust i've never tryed anything this bad off
before(oxi tank cap left to wether for who knows how long)
so now what to do with used acid?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:31 AM

Uh...build a pool?

Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
On really badly corroded stuff, I've given it a rough brushing with a wire brush wheel in an angle grinder.

Acid really makes me nervous...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

FYI - Swimming pool acid is muriatic aka Hydrochloric - it removes rust yet at the same it's fumes will alos rust everything in your shop!
Naval Jelly works great although messy and toxic - for welding I'd use a powered wire brush.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast

no room for a pool; a burmeas wine-oh trap might be usefull
you know like the ones you see on street corners..big hole lots of those blinking
barricades

Tags
forge