MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Stopping Rust?

Hey... I'm almost done with the blade for my first knife but I was reading on Engnath's site that L-6 steel was prone to rusting. What should I do to keep it from rusting? Is there a polish I can use? If I put a powder coat on it would that help? How do you powder coat a blade?

I plan to do the handle this weekend... I'm going to use some basic crafts wood for this one since it's been kind of a practice knife and I made a few mistakes. Not going to be great but it's helping me refine my fileing and learn all the steps involved.

Thanks,

Abbadon (Chad)
Old 07-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You can coat it with teflon, or powder coat it, or just oil it, or rub wax on it, or even paint it. Any kind of coating will help keep moisture out.

That said, it isn't necessary to coat it with anything. Anything made of carbon steel can rust. Guns can rust, your car, your lawn mower, about half the knives used by butchers and professional chefs can rust.

But they don't because the users of all these things know enough to keep them clean and dry and that's all you have to do with your knife. Add a little wax to that and you could store it safely for years ....
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 PM

thanks

Ok thanks... This one isn't going to be pretty so I'm going to use it and be rough on it to see what it can take. I think the powder coating looks pretty cool though. It's taking a little longer than I thought to get the blade right but I filed on it today until I could barely hold the file anymore and got it pretty close so I think it will be ready for a handle in a day or two. When I finish I will post a picture so yall can see and give me some advice for my next one.

Chad

Tags
blade, knife, knives