MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 07-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Steel Addict

I've had much the same problems with MM. Every time I order stencils I heavily express in snailmail and email that I want/need the green but danged if they don't send gold and then want them returned at MY expense before they will send the green. Basically holding what I have ordered and paid for hostage until I spend money to cover for their mistake.

I really do hope a better alternative can be found!

www.stevescutlery.com
Old 07-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Skilled

Sounds like I'm not the only one to have trouble with MM. Although for the most part I am satisfied with them. I have not however tried ordering any special stencils.

When I ordered my stenciles I didnt' know there was a green or gold and they sent me green. Guess I lucked out there.

I however had to call several times and finaly after a little over a month I got them. When I first ordered I was told 1-2 weeks. This was all on standard art work.

At the time I was told they didnt' have email or a website. This was about a year ago and seems kinda backward in this day and age.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Skilled

Following failures to return telephone calls, emails and letters to MM, at Sheffield Supply's suggestion, I moved on to Lectroetch, Sheffield Village, Ohio, (440)934-1249, and have no complaints to date. Dave Badt has been very helpful and prompt with stencil designs, equipment and supplies, and problem resolution.

Old 07-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Skilled

Kelly, thanks. Any chance you have a URL for these folks?:cool:

Old 07-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Steel Addict

Mike; lectroetch.com worked for me.

www.stevescutlery.com
Old 07-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Steel Addict

I will have to join you guys. I use to work down the street from MM and when they messed up my order they told me straight out that my order wasn't big enough for them to worry about .

Well I guess they wanted me to get out so they gave me half off my order and sent me on my way, but no matter how many times I called they would not return my call. It took them looking me in the face to respond.

Don... I too delt with Natalie, and out of everyone there she seems to be the only one that cares. She will be my contact in the future too... at least until I find someone better.

Mike

Old 07-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I took a chance and sent a link to this thread to the "big boss" at MM. We'll see if it does any good.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Living Legend

Cool, Don, I was going to do the same in a day or so.
Also, I am calling other stencil manufacturers to get pricing structure, stencil types, and hopefully a sample of the stencils to test cut here at home.When completed, I will publish the results of my enquiries.

Hopefully MM will care enuf to respond. If not, then that is a statement in itself.

Thanks, Don.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Skilled

Don, if it went to the sales manager(Victor), we will probably get hot air. If it went higher..............? We can hope though.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:35 PM
Registered

some threads on alternate marking stencils
and here and here
Make sure and drill down to the links referenced in these threads to get the whole story.
img-electromark.com will do everything you need

Last edited by tmickley; 07-08-2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Skilled

Thanks Tracy, I think Electromark is one of the companies that Mike Fitz has requests out to.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
Living Legend

Update

Had a pleasant conversation with Lectroetch this morning. They are going to provide a pricing list and sample stencil/electrolyte for testing.

David Dyer is the contact, and he is well familiar with knifemakers' logos, since they do them for alot of makers and manufacturers. According to David, Lectroetch is the original developer of the technique, and several of their competitors are "spin-offs" from them, ex-employees, etc. Prices sound lower and the attitude is a whole lot better.

More to follow....
Old 07-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Mike, that sounds encouraging. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Living Legend

IMG

International Marking Group also sounds alot better to deal with. I contacted Patricia @ 1-800-775-3824 and had a very pleasant conversation. Seems Bob Warner recommends them alot.

She's gonna send me a stencil, also, and once I test it and others I will detail their pricing, etc., in a comprehensive post.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Living Legend

phone calls

Well, I'd not call anyone a liar, because there are such things as strange coincidence. I will say this however: because of my infirmities I don't move fast, so there are telephones all over in the house, including the super-loud one in my shop, and the hands-free set I carry with me most of the time. I am home all day long; especially I made sure I was available expecting a call from MM. The phone never rang at my end, I can guarantee. On top of that, I had my answering machine tested from 3 different phones and it worked fine.
It just surprises me that all day long all the s.o.b.'s soliciting can get thru to me just fine and the one call I was waiting for never happened, and still hasn't. Figure it out for yourself.
Since I'm the one started this hoo-hah, you'd think they'd call me to straighten it out. Since no one has, I have to form an opinion they just don't care. Now mind you, Victor, that's just an opinion; I believe I'm allowed to say that, bucko!
You make a good product, Marking Methods, but your people skills leave something to be desired, at least as far as this boy is concerned. Others seem to feel the same way. Smoke that.

Tags
forge, knife, knives