MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 03-23-2001, 08:10 AM
Don Cowles

Firebrick

I am looking for a source for the lighweight firebrick used in the building of HT furnaces. I have struck out with local welding shops. If you know of a specific supplier, I'd be grateful for an address/url/phone number. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2001, 11:32 AM
A M Wilson

Sir,

I presonally don't know much about firebrick, but I did a search and found the following.

These three sites are probably catering to a more industrial type of crowd than the standard knifemaker but here they are any way.

www.bnzmaterials.com/bnzifb.html

www.pyroindustrial.com

www.thermalceramics.thoma...mics/k.htm

This last site looks like an actual supplier to anyone who wishes to purchase firebrick of varying types and sizes, without it being a special job.

www.faireyco.com/refractories.html

I hope this helps in some from or another.

Take care and good luck.

Andy
Old 03-23-2001, 12:23 PM
Don Cowles

Thanks, Andy- I did the search too (before posting) and have emailed each of those companies, but have not yet received any responses. The difficulty is that most industrial suppliers have a minimum order, and don't want to be bothered with 5-10 bricks.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:31 PM
andy gascoigne

Hi Don

Are you looking to build your own HT oven or just re-lining an existing one.
I would be interested in any info on building a simple HT oven as Knife makers ovens are as rare as hens teath over this side of the pond!!.

Andy.. U.K

ps. Over here we have no problem with refractory materials..bought two firebrick slabs to weld on just the other day.

Old 03-23-2001, 05:17 PM
moldy Jim

Heat Treat ovens

Andy (and anyone else) you might check out a pottery supply place. The ones over here carry firebrick, Kaowool, fireclay etc. Plus some of them carry instructions and supplies for making kilns both electric and gas. Near me is a shop that carries Neochrome wire for the elements, temp controllers thermocouples etc for making electric kilns. they also have stuff for gas burn out ovens.
Another place to check would be a Jewelery/lapidary supply store. Casting ovens and stuff would work too.
Moldy Jim
Old 03-23-2001, 05:23 PM
Don Cowles

Re: Heat Treat ovens

I found a local source- I only need a few for repairs and experimentation, and I had to beg to get them to sell me less than a case, but they caved in. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:48 AM
Dave Larsen

Don, what kind of place did you find that had the firebrick? In Des Moines there are no pottery supply places, and both the brick companies only have the hard fire brick. We don't have anyone here who does any casting that I can learn of, either.

Thanks for any help,
Dave
Old 03-24-2001, 11:07 AM
Don Cowles

Contact these folks, and ask for contact info for a local distributor near Des Moines: www.bnzmaterials.com/
Old 03-24-2001, 04:52 PM
Roger Gregory

Andy

I'd be surprised if you had any trouble with firebricks being so close to Sheffield!

I'm sure there are some oven-makers in Chesterfield as well as Sheffield. None of the ####ed things are cheap though, and mostly designed for casting or firing pottery.

Roger
Old 03-25-2001, 05:19 AM
andy gascoigne

Roger
Your right, no problem with the fire bricks but no one in Chesterfield area building ovens or kilns. Stoke-on-Trent
is the place for all things kiln related. I will, when time permits have a trip over for elements and controlers etc.

If anyones interested a great book to look for is a book by David J Gingery, Lindsay Publications, called " Li'l Bertha a compact electric resistance shop furnace.

Lots of info on calculating element sizes etc.

Andy..

Tags
knife