MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Mondt

New Discovery For Flat Grinding

I don't know if I'm out of touch or not, but I just found this at Supergrit.

It is a graphite sufaced canvas made to place on the surface of your platen or grinding surface. A bit of spay adhesive and there you go.

I just put some on my 2 x 72 platen and I am very impressed thus far. I had no heat build up on the platen at all after 20 minutes of grinding! It also gives a bit of cushion too.

I don't know if anyone else has ever used this, but it seem to be a good idea to me so far.

Old 02-15-2002, 04:32 PM
ansoknives

I have used it for some time...I am not quit sure I like it...the feeling is good...but the belt digs into it after avile and I think it goes out of true......I need to check up on it as I have not used the platen since July....and I use it for tapering tangs only.

I got mine from Texas Knifesupply.......
Old 02-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Knifemaker01

I tried the graphite and it was ok, but wore to quickly I though. Then I started using shoe sole leather, and spraying it with silicone. This worked good too, but also wore to quickly for my liking. I have since switched to lining the platten with a tempered fireplace glass. I doubt I'll ever use anything else as long as this is available. It seems to last forever, and the feeling of control while grinding is hard to describe.

Steve
Old 02-15-2002, 11:33 PM
Bill Foote

I've been looking for a tempered glass, like Corning, for a platen but have not been able to find any. Can you give us a source of the glass you use, I heard it's excellent for flat grinding, and doesn't wear like other platen liners.
TIA,
Bill
Old 02-16-2002, 02:14 AM
ansoknives

I have held back on using it even though I have heard great things about it.....I tried some for a very brief moment but the fear of it seperating and taking a turn around the wheel with whatever might come out just made go back to normal platen....
Old 02-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Mondt

I didn't figure I had found anything new.

I am interested in the glass surface too as far as wear goes I bet it is great. How is it as far as heating up? This graphite stuff provides zero heat build up on the belt and platen which would seem to me to be easier on belts. I also like the low drag I'm getting too.

Let's hear some more about the tempered glass.

Old 02-16-2002, 03:06 PM
KandSKNIVES

Doug, if you get the kind of glass that is used for the front of fireplaces, heat is not a problem.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 02-16-2002, 07:14 PM
BCB27

Tempered glass

My understanding, as provided by a local glazier, is that tempered glass must be cut prior to tempering. He told me he didn't have any in the size I needed, and told me it wouldn't be worth the trouble to special order it. He suggested I use Corning glass instead, which I did. It's the same glassware used in cooking and baking, and it stands up to our uses just fine.

Brett
Old 02-16-2002, 10:16 PM
SIGGI

Re: Tempered glass

Brett,

What is your source for the Corning Glass?

TIA,

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-17-2002, 03:13 AM
BCB27

Bob,

My source was a local glazier here in Cheyenne. It probably shouldn't be too hard for you to find locally. Check your Yellow Pages for local glaziers or places that sell plate glass.

Brett
Old 02-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Knifemaker01

I got my piece of tempered fireplace glass from Tom Ferry. I believe he has a limited source for scraps of it, but not sure how much. I was impressed enough with it that I have looked into being able to provide it for others if there's enough interest. Those interested in some can either post here or contact me directly.

Thank you.

Steve
My site

Old 02-17-2002, 11:33 AM
SIGGI

Steve,

I would be interested. My platen is 2x8, but I wouldn't mind it being slightly narrower.

Please contact me with the details.

<a href="mailto:SIGGI@prodigy.net">...rodigy.net</a>

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-18-2002, 05:37 AM
P MOORE

Steve;
I also am interested in the glass. Ho do you attach it to your platten?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Knifemaker01

I have heard of some using double sided tape to attach it to the platten. But I guess I'm more like Jens and had visions of it releasing and used epoxy. This seems to be working well, and It's probably a good thing that it won't need replacing often.
I'm still looking into pricing, and will post here soon as I find something out.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 02-23-2002, 09:49 PM
Steelej

Tempered glass

We have been making knifemakers grinders for about 7 years now and used to fit them with the graphited fabric platen lining but it was prone to distorting where the belt splice passed the blade edge with each cycle of the belt and thus was never reliably flat. Due to problems with reliability and safety when glass is used we now recommend smooth steel and for best effect totally hard spring steel. Platens can be made accurate by running a belt(#120 grit) inside out and applying pressure over the platen with a FLAT plate of precision brass, aluminium or glass etc for a few seconds at a time until the desired effect is achieved.

Tags
blade, knife