MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Skilled

disc grinder

How many of you guys regularly use a disc grinder in your shop?

I have to say that when I was in a rush to get my shop going, and having just come from a hammer in where a lot of the master smiths were saying how great disc grinders were, I rushed to set one up.

Mine is a 1hp Baldor with a rob frink disc.

I have not used it once. Am I missing out or am I just too new at this to appreciate the virtues of this machine?

how can a nice disc grinder improve my knife making experience?!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Funny you bring this up Tom. I just ordered one of Robs horizontal disc grinders. I already have two smaller disc grinders in the shop, one set up for folders and another for dovetailed bolsters. I built myself one for grinding and couple of years ago, but went too small and got frustrated with it.....I sold it and have missed it ever since. There are a lot of operations that have to do with flattening that a disc grinder just makes plain easy. Sometimes it just takes a person a while to discover its many uses. Keep yours, and eventually you'll be glad you have it!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Tom,

I did basically the same thing you did.. I went to Josh Smith's hammer-in a couple of years ago and watched Tim Hancock using one of Rob Frink's 9" disks. I told myself, "I gotta have one of those!!!" I put out the $800 or so bucks and got the one with the 1 degree beveled face .. Then I messed up a bunch of stuff with it and so, there it sat. I was afraid to use it because I didn't want to mess up anything else with it. Then one day I convinced myself that I had to learn how to use the darn thing because I paid a lot of money for it. I spent the next couple of weeks really figuring out what it could and couldn't do.
Now.... I use it everyday.... I don't know how I could ever live without it!!
I would strongly suggest that everyone has one!!

I guess the bottom line is.... You have to take the time to figure out the learning curve!!!

Steve

S.K. Knives
11407 Spotted Fawn Ln.
Bigfork, Mt. 59911
(406)837-1489
www.skknives.com
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Skilled

Hi Ed.

I imagine at some time I will wonder why I never used it earlier. I took the switch off it when the one on my kmg motor crapped out... now it is operational again, but just sits.
I need to put a foot switch and figure how to reverse it, but there is no hurry!
Too many other things need doing first.
Got a small flurry of orders since getting the site up. Talk to you soon!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Skilled

Hi Steve, I think you are right. We get in a habit of doing things that we know how to do so we don't mess up. I may try this more, that has been my thought, I paid good money for this, so use it dammit!
I have the beveled disc too.
I will try to use it on my next knife-- do they work good for tapering full tang knives? That is an area where I have trouble getting the tang tapers the same.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

i have two one is a six inch set up vertically with a foot switch. the other is a 9" set up horizontal with a foot sw. that i use for flattening stuff. liners/bolsters/ricasso's etc.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

9" Vert disk is all I use as a grinder. I have never taken the time to use a 2X72 since I can make flat grinds with my disk. That and I like the appearance of the radiused plung grind it makes.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Michael E. Mill

Rick Menefee and I built me one this summer and the other day I commented to him how much I USE IT. I take flat from 220 grit to 2000 and have used it to flat grind some chef knives . I have two disc on the ends of a 1 inch shaft and the discs are 5/8 inch flat 9inch disc steel. They were welded and turned by Bill Kennedy and I have never seen a truer spinning machine. I flatten all handle material and also use it after the flat platten to taper tangs. It is unbelieveable. It has the shaft mounted on flat plate on a 8 inch column welded to a truck disc drum for a base . I DON'T and can't move it unless it is intentional. Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Skilled

OK now I am properly inspired to put my disc grinder to work! Thanks for the feed back.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast

Gday fella's,

I have a 12" Sherwood and used it a couple of times and then stuck it in the corner. I found if I was trying to flatten blocks or slabs of wood that it would always radius the leading and trailing edge of the block. This maybe because I am using hook & loop backing on the discs and not glueing them straight to the face plate????

I did do some tapered tangs on the disc but now that I have my variable speed KMG I find it easier on that.

Maybe i need to revisit the disc. What do you guys find it is most useful for and what tips do you have for each process?

Cheers Bruce

American Bladesmith Society Apprentice
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Skilled

Used a 9" disc for the past 16 years. Don't even own a belt. Forge it close and the disc is just fine. I think a belt might be a little faster but the I have never really used one. I love my disc with the VFD. I use the 9" so I do not have to buy precut discs. I just buy 9x11 sheets and trim them in place. Much Cheaper.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Master

Anyone hold the work against the disc and then start it up. I'm curious if a foot switch is worth picking up.

Tom, I'd think it's possible to taper a tang, but since you have a flat platen set up, it might be worth it to do the bulk of the work on the belt. I've been doing like Chuck and using spray adhesive to stick a 9x11 sheet on (9" disc).

Happy New Year, Craig
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Steel Addict

can somebody post a supplier for discs? i have a couple of 1 horse motors waiting to be used
Old 12-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore
can somebody post a supplier for discs? i have a couple of 1 horse motors waiting to be used
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 AM

I have a 9 hotizontal gringer with the variablespeed motor and just ordered another and use it all the time for flattening, I find it's really handy for folders and other things that need to be flat or sqaure for me its like a poor boys surface grinder, its one of the most vertsitale tools I've got, I to like Steve messed up a bunch of stuff but you just need throw it away and start again and get used to your macine then you start using it all he time.

K A Willey

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives