MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Registered

Looking for a starter kit and advise

I am currently stationed at a small outpost in Iraq. A few of us have the habit of collecting knives and started talking about making our own. We are looking for a site that sells quality straight fixed blade knife kits and preferably will ship to an Apo address. We have limmited tools here mostly wrenches and sledge hammers. But thats some of the fun here, making something you can be proud of with not much more than a pocket knife. We have found knifekits.com, texasknife.com, and attacc.com. Are there any others we should know about? And are these reliable sites and quaility kits. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Skilled

texasknife are ghood people to deal with and i have never had problems with them shipping international(australia) not sure how you would go in iraq. and i doubt if you would find anyone anywhere who would have a bad word to say about knifekits. usually you can make the fixed blade kits with barely any tools, i made one with a file and sandpaper and glue and thats it.
you may want to try linville knife and tool, i think they have a speciasl on for service men, they only have a few desaigns available though.
theres tons of people here to tell you how to do anything you could ever consider attempting.

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

First I would like to thank you for your service to our country. As a Vietnam veteran, USMC, I have an idea of the sacrifices you are making. Thank you.

Secondly, I would recommend, in addition to Texas Knifemakers Supply http://www.texasknife.com/TKS_Mainfr...lcome.htm~main also Jantz Supply http://www.jantzsupply.com/ and K & G http://knifeandgun.com/
All are good companies to work with.

Thirdly, if there is anything I can do to assist your efforts, please let me know. I am a retired disabled veteran who makes knives as a hobby. I don't have all the cool machinery I would like to have, but I can still make nice knives. Getting blades that are pretty much finished is the way I started.
If you need to contact me, my email is dalervincent@comcast.net

Take care & thank you,
Dale
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Living Legend

Guys,

Let’s not forget our gracious hosts- http://knifekits.com/

The other companies carry great kit knives and I still buy from them, but Knife Kits is a whole different level.

Check out the chute knife -

Check out the gallery to see what Don did to them

I used this style in the field during my Reserve training when I was part of BMU-2 -

Customer service has always been first with them,
Jim

Edit - this is the style I used in an amphib unit, the pic is from the website

Last edited by Drac; 08-28-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jace11229 Send a message via Yahoo to jace11229
Don't forget Northcoast knives. I know the guy's a fan of you all, as are the rest of us.
Stay safe and THANK YOU!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Registered

Thanks for the help

Just wanted to say thanks for responding so quick. We have ordered our first kit knives, a Delta 5 spear point, a Cowboy Classic, and another guy got the scrimshaw kit. Now comes the long wait for the mail to get here. If we have any questions which we probably will we know where to come for the answers. We will try to post some pics when we are done. Thanks again.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives