MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Unhappy Help with an electric motor!!??

I have been given a rather large DC motor that I would like to put to use on my grinder I am building. It is even coming with the controller for it!! Here is the bad part though, it is a 24vdc motor that pulls 250 amps under a full load. The name plate on this does not give any info on the motor, so the only thing I have to go on is what has been tested. I am beginning to think that a good used dc or 3phase motor with controller might be cheaper than making this work. I have considered running this on 2 deep cycle 12v batteries in series, but don't know how long I will be able to run it between charges.

I have found a nearly new tefc 2hp dc motor or a 1 1/2 hp 3phase tefc at a local machine salvage yard for $100. With controllers on ebay going for about $150, this might be the way to go. (btw, he also had a 16" serrated contact wheel without a hub he will sell for $30... it is a shame I used my last check on my way over... I will pick that up tomarrow. I already checked with chicago rubber on the price of the hub!! )

Sorry for the long post, but this is above me on figuring this out. I thought I could get a transformer and a rectifier but it is not looking good
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sounds like that motor probably came off a fork lift or trolley system. Should have completely outrageous torque! I don't know how long it would run on a charge but it would probably be drawing a lot more power to run the motor than you would be able to really use. BTW, that much amperage can be seriously dangerous if you screw up.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast

That is where is came from! It was on an electric pallet jack. Of course I wouldn't be putting enough of a load on it to ever pull 250amps, but I agree, could be very dangerous.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Motor Controllers....

Well, after looking at the motor at the machine salvage yard, I found out it was a Baldor CD6202 that has never been hooked up. I figured for a hundred bucks it would be worth it! SO, now that I have that I am looking at a controller on ebay. What features do you need for a controller for a belt grinder? I don't really think that a reversing switch is a big priority, what else should i look for?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

What you should look for is a controller that handles the voltage range, horsepower, and the amperage of your Baldor motor ........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, there is a chassis mount on ebay that looks like it will do the job for under $60 shipped. I will just have to put it in an enclosure and add a pot. Thanks for the help!

Mike