MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 AM

Keith -- you're being way too polite.

Would this be an appropriate time and place for me to post a pic of the Rebel Tanto I put together a few years ago? Not as nice a job as this one, since I used the stock stainless bolsters also supplied by Texas Knifemakers Supply, but the grinds are near perfect

Not nice Hawk, not nice

Mike

Old 01-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Living Legend

monday, noon CT: the pics aren't available, even when the URL is cut and pasted. have they been removed or am I just having a browsing glitch???
Old 01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
Well I can see them... pictures are ok.

Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Living Legend

Thanks. Something on this end, then. Appreciate the response.
I can't see those on the Bowie thread, either.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Same here Fitz, figgure he pulled the plug on the pics. Just a little too much heat!

Oh well, I guess you live and learn!

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Living Legend

Well I could save and send, but giving it a second thought, it is not worth it. I guess he got the message and will try harder by his own skills next time. I hope this serves as encouragment for you Hawk, I expect to see some of your work in the future, your real work, because if it was you who mounted those knives, you have a nice touch to the trade. You didn't need to lie... come on boy, impress me!

Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Living Legend

Yeah, that's not necessary, Jeff. I think it may be, that some have been to this thread earlier and have the temp files of the jpg's still on their machine. This was the first time I read the thread and it responds with a server error "file not found on server" when I try to access them direct.

I don't need to see them. If Mr. Hawk is unjustly accused, he will either prove it or chose not to respond. Certainly his choice, and not my business.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Skilled

Well, I was impressed by the handle work. Sorry to find out the blade was a kit knife being represented as one he made.

On the plus side, I really like the tutorial he linked to. I'm going to add that to my bookmarks, even if I'm an incurable iron-pounder.

And as another plus, I think I'll go look at the Texas Knife Supply kit knives. I liked the shapes of the two Hawk posted. I don't intend to make a kit knife (too much fun to make the blades myself), but they might give me some good inspiration.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

You know what I am not going to argue with any of you. But here is what I did,
a buddy asked me to make him a Tanto knife, seeing as I had never even held a
tanto knife I bought a blade from Texas Knife and then made one just like it,
would any of you like for me to mail the knife I made, along with all the
steel I ruined trying to do this, it should take you professionals about 3
seconds to see the difference between the "factory" blade and the piece of
crap I made. Oh and I was misleading on one thing, I do have a "grinder" of
sorts, seeing as I cannot afford a $2,000.00 grinder I took a 6 inch grinder I
bought at Home Depot, put a 8 inch paper wheel, with a strip of rubber gluded
to it, and a wheel off a cabinet and made a POS grinder that the sandpaper
belt will not track straight on, so forgive me my sin. Yes, I buy blades and
then reproduce them, so what!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

Has anyone but me noticed the Rebel tanto blade from Texas Knives has a tapered tang and the knife in question does not?

Old 01-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Living Legend

Well standing for yourself certainly is a good thing. You see, forums are very interesting e-based communities. Here we have trust bonds that cannot be breaked. I have never seen any of the guys here in person, but some of them are my costumers. They trust me because of what I say in my posts, they send their money to me, and I send their knives to them. Trust, is a key word. We trade knives, guys on the Outpost forum make eletronic
'knife-in-the-hat' draws and everybody gets their knives. Being clear about what you do and about what you say is a good thing. on the other hands, jumping into conclusions is not a good thing to. I guess we have have learned something with this thing, and if I personaly disrespected you, I honestly appologize. One thing I said though stands: impress me man! I want to see more from you. Take all this as a good thing. To drive all the doubts about this away search the internet for the thousands of pictures it offers, and get your inspiration from there. IMPRESS ME MAN!

Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hawk please repost your images - I for one would like to see what you did - I saw your earlier posts and was very impressed by your work. Maybe you should have explained up front what you had done but you are new and I for one gave you the benefit of the doubt.

As to copying well I think good friend Dan Gray said it best on another forum in another post about "copying"-

[Quote] "to be introduced into the knife world there is a lot to learn business wise, ethic wise, etc you just don't know it all until you are told or see it and then you'll miss something that will bite you...... so be easy, because you just may get whacked some day in something you don't know yourself...

......but as said some don't mind being copied, some get their thong twisted up. right or wrong there are some guys that are looked up to, to the point that they just love that blade and want to be as good or better than that maker. he's a mentor to the guy. I'd be pleased myself..just don't put my name on it.
Maybe a knife ethics code should be drawn up for new guys that just don't know,, you think?
But who's going to do it, and in a way to please everyone?

personally I don't care, as I say, if someone copies a design I make or have made. if there is a big problem with this, that's what copy right law and such is for, But I believe you can't
copy right a design like that anyway ( at least not worth doing) you just have to change it slightly and the money spent is wasted, then your left with, relying on the ethics of the makers now. No, the problem is not resolved, it's happening all the time and will go on either for financial gain or by a new makers lack of knowing..it's an on going fact of life..[Quote]

Now most have seen my work and from the comments I'd say most were impressed - well when I began learning I shamelessly copied, copied, copied - did not try to pass it off as anything else and it was one of the best methods of learning that I can think of. In fact in the guilds of old this was exactly how apprentices and journeyman were taught. So let's all mellow out here and give the new guys a chance before we jump all over their ass.
As to guys copying my work - well I follow the adage "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...... If somebody copies my work they will never exactly recreate it - period - it has my personal stamp - secondly if they can out do me well HURRAH for them - the student surpassed the teacher.

Anyway thats my take - Enough said.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-26-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Hawk:
Having defended yourself, I feel I need to reply.
If these blades are what you say they are, you have my public apology.

But please try and understand that a new maker, exibiting 2 blades that are exact copies of TKS blades, gives a lot of room for speculation.

If I spoke without first considering my words, and if those words unjustly brought you harm, please accept my apology.

God Bless

Mike

Old 01-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

This seems to ongoing as to skepticism - and yes I am skeptical (anybody that knows me knows I have a very sensitive BS meter)but not cynical so.... and I have absolutely NOTHING to gain here I have never met Hawk and in fact may have much to loose, but then it won't be the first time I've put myself in the line of fire 8o

Two points:
1) Hawk says he has nor grinder yet says he says he has a 4" x 36" - now granted that's not much of a grinder, but for those willing to keep at it one could be used to get a hollow grind - I know I've done it.

2)
Quote:
Has anyone but me noticed the Rebel tanto blade from Texas Knives has a tapered tang and the knife in question does not?
per Ron Aggus - now I've never seen a TKS Rebel so I can only go with Ron's words and looking at the pictures Hawk's tanto tang is definitely not tapered

Anyway for my own sake I decided to do a Photoshop comparison - now this is not proof positive by any means and it is are not perfect - but take a look:
Hawk's knife is overlaid over an image of the TKS Rebel Tanto - Inn the first image I lined up the tip on both knives - assuming that the TKS is made with jigs at least for the holes than these two blades are not an exact match note also the grind - Hawks knife is the shorter one.

Second image has the two bolster pin holes and the rear end of the grind lined up - well two things now match but the blade is shorter - not a big deal easy enough to change, but the two main grip holes are off - the rear one by the width of the hole - again assuming the TKS is made with jigs than these should match at least closer than that.

Is this real proof of anything - no - but it does leave some room for taking the man at his word at least for me. Viewing Hawk's other posts he's always apparently been up front about his blade source so....???????

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 PM

Interesting photo-exercise Chuck, would probably hold up in many courts. But I'll be better convinced by works that show at least an attempt at creativity, if not originality.
Too many ripoff artists around for me to modulate my overly trained sense of skepticism.

Mike

Tags
bee, black, blade, blades, bolster, easy, fac, fire, first time, forge, grinder, grip, hawk, hollow grind, image, knife, knife making, knives, machete, made, man, tang, tanto