MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2002, 12:39 AM
DWDavidson

Seeking some advice on making my first fixed blade...

First off let me say thank you to everyone on these forums. I have learned alot just by reading through the massive amounts of information here.

Next let me explain my situation. My wife is in the Air Force and we are stationed in Turkey right now so I am limited in the things I can do. (No large fires or pounding hammers). So I can't really play with the idea of learning to forge at all at this time. So stock removal is where i must start. A hack saw, some files, a dremal and an 8 inch delta drill press are my major tools. All so I have access to a large pottery kiln for heat treating (if this will work). I stopped by and checked the temps it is capable of and if I remeber right 2500f was the top temp.

My first question is what steel should I use for this first attempt. I want something that is very forgiving. Looking through the forum i see O1 listed alot as a good beginer steel but I wanted to double check before i order some.

Next question is do i need to buy heat treat foil or can i treat the blade without it. If the foil just cuts down on the scale I dont mind the extra work if cost is a factor. Once i heat treat can i let O1 air harden and then soften the spine with a propane torch?

And last question I plan on making a Loveless style drop point hunter or and asno style sheep foot ( Mr. Asno Gorgeous Knifes BTW). What size stock would you recomend I buy for these types of blades.

I have made several Darrel Ralph 605 folder kits for friends but now I really want to get to the point where authorship is 100% mine and of course would like it turn out as well as i can possibly make it for a first attempt..=) SO I figured a fixed blade would be a good starting point.

Thank you for your time in advance,
David W. Davidson
ddavidson@wrightfield.com

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife