MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
I will have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with your press..... I expected to see a Candy Apple red paint job with pin stripes! And what about "mag" wheels?? Your slack'in on me Pal! LOL!
I'm sorry. I put that thing in use right after I got it welded up and never had time to sandblast it and paint it!
I have a huge project of blasting and painting to do one of these days.
I'm gonna have to work on those mag wheels.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Skilled

Holy Cow!

How big a pump would it take to drive on of those bruiser cylinders?!
Want kind of tonage would a press with one of those puppies output?!

I just got in on this thread. I love your ideas, guys, for the portable press.

Dana
Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

Specs. with a 5 GPM pump at 1500 PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hackney View Post
How big a pump would it take to drive on of those bruiser cylinders?!
Want kind of tonage would a press with one of those puppies output?!

I just got in on this thread. I love your ideas, guys, for the portable press.

Dana
Dana here is just about everything you would ever want to know about one of those cylinder on a press.

BORE DIA. 7 INCHES

ROD DIA. 5 INCHES

PUMP FLOW 5 GPM

SYSTEM PRESSURE 1500 PSI

STROKE 14 INCHES

HP REQ'D TO DRIVE PUMP 5.1 HP

EXTEND FORCE 57,698 LBS

EXTEND VELOCITY 0.50 IN/SEC

EXTEND TIME 27.97 SEC.

FLOW OUT OF CYL 2.45 GPM

RETRACT FORCE 28,260 LBS

RETRACT VELOCITY 1.02 IN/SEC

RETRACT TIME 13.70 SEC.

FLOW OUT OF CYL 10.21 GPM
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Master

Nice compact press Cal. Do you ever have a hard time seeing around the dies or keeping an eye on how the billet is forming out the back side of the press.

On those specs above, would you want a tad more speed on the ram to keep the dies from drawing too much heat out of the work. Just wondering.

Thanks for your knowledge, Craig
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdent View Post
Nice compact press Cal. Do you ever have a hard time seeing around the dies or keeping an eye on how the billet is forming out the back side of the press.

On those specs above, would you want a tad more speed on the ram to keep the dies from drawing too much heat out of the work. Just wondering.

Thanks for your knowledge, Craig
Craig, all my dies have stops on them to control the height of the final billet or the pattern that is being pressed into the billet so what ever is happening on the front is also happeing in the back.
Yes with only 5 gallons a minute this would be a little slow so you could either put a larger pump on which would require a larger motor or the other option is to design the circuit with a regeneration function then the press speeds would be as follows with the same 5 GPM pump. The cylinder would then approach the billet at almost 1 inch per second until the force reached 29438 pounds then it could switch back to it slow speed and maximum force. That is how my press works because I do not have access to 220V to run a 5 HP motor.

REGENERATION FORCE 29,438 LBS

REGENERATION VELOCITY 0.98 IN/SEC

EXTEND TIME 14.27 SEC.

FLOW INTO CYL 9.80 GPM

FLOW OUT OF CYL 4.80 GPM
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Master

Thanks for the explanation Cal. Sounded interesting so I looked around and stumble on a posting you did over on britblades. Good stuff.

Take care, Craig
Old 04-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Ganshorn View Post
Dennis, presses don?t have to be physically big and take up a big footprint. This press is about 4 ? ft tall and 16 inches wide.
The 6-inch bore, 3 inch rod, 10 inch stroke cylinder is mounted on the bottom. There is a piece of high temperature silicon rubber that protects the cylinder rod from any scale getting either on it or near the rod seals. If you are concerned about scale landing on the hoses there are hose protectors made from Kevlar that are used in high temperature applications in steel mills that will slide over any exposed hoses.
There is ZERO movement on the press from any side loading. The rod is shimed in place by the die block and the cylinder has cross supports on the head end to prevent any movement.
The relief valve on this system is set at 3200 psi and on a 6-inch bore cylinder that equals 90,432 pound of force, 45 tons.
My only complaint was that when I designed the press and made the cylinder I had figured that 10 inches of stroke would be enough. So I took the cylinder tube and cut about 9 inches off. As you can see from the picture there is lots of room for the extra length and it would not have made the press any larger.

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post.

I'm sorry or bumping an old thread, but I found this image on google search (I want to build my own forging press) and I was wondering if there are any follow-up threads on this particular press.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Registered

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I found it looking for information on hydraulic forging presses. I'm sorry for waking the dead on this thread. But it looks interesting. Are there any threads or additional information like websites, on it?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I doubt you'll find any websites that are dedicated to forging presses. The reason? The huge safety/liability issues that come along with a forging press. Most of us piece the information together from various sources..... and a LOT of help from others who have built and/or use these machines.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvox View Post
Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I found it looking for information on hydraulic forging presses. I'm sorry for waking the dead on this thread. But it looks interesting. Are there any threads or additional information like websites, on it?

there's some good reading on the www.iforgeiron.com forum........re power hammer's press's forge building etc

and never be sorry for rekindling old cool thread.........maybe Dennis will chime in and posts some pics of his awesome press

Tags
block, build, damascus, first post, forging, guards, hydraulic press, image, kit, made, post, press, relief, rod, scale, steel