MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 01-29-2002, 09:01 PM
genechapman

Favorite bench knife??

I got one so butt ugly it hurts the eyes, made years ago when in a industry job, made from a piece of power hacksaw blade, HSS, just ground out, harder than a file, will scrape gaskets, scribe steel, cut most anything, just keep it around cuz it keeps on cutting and is a good tool. forgot how the handle bolt holes were made, maybe had help from the weld shop?? It's been on my bench for over 20 years and just a touchup on the belt grinder keeps it cutting.

Replace a water pump, grab that knife, mark some steel, grab that knife, cut through a auto engine hose with steel spring inside, grab that knife. clean it off and use to cut meat and cheese for Goeduck full Moon hammer In.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:06 AM
TMarshman

Hey, Gene, how about a picture of the old workhorse?
Old 01-30-2002, 10:40 AM
KandSKNIVES

Great steel, power hack saw blades. Learned how good it is, working in a paper mill. We made knives out of it to cut damaged paper off of mandrells, as it came off the paper making machines. I still use it to make boneing knives, camp knives, fillet blades, and all my leather cutting knives. Doesn't polish well, but cuts like the dickens and stays sharp.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 01-30-2002, 01:46 PM
genechapman

Can you find the bench knife, it's the uglie one with 1/4-20 bolts holding the handle on. Used it at work, machine tool maintanance for a long time, made it to scrape gaskets, deburr, scribe, strip electrical cable etc.

A couple of old power hacksaw blades, one about 1/16" thick and the larger about 3/32". My bench knife is made from .050" saw blade. I think these old ones are all tool steel, newer ones may have tool steel for teeth, electron beam welded to a cheaper steel.
photos.yahoo.com/bc/anvilman60/vwp?.dir=/blacksmithing&.src=ph&.dnm=Bench+top.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/anvilman60/lst%3f%26.dir=/blacksmithing%26.src=ph%26.view=t

This is the flat spot where i do finish work, tossed in a mess of candlesnuffers that I'm working on just to show that I do work once in a while.
Gene C.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Jeff Sanders

cool Gene, nice shop pic.I want to try saw blades sometime for a knife.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:02 AM
MaxTheKnife

Hey Gene, how do you find anything in all that clutter?
Old 01-31-2002, 10:37 AM
genechapman

Hi Max,
Usually there is a open spot about 18"square, threw in the candlesnuffers for grins. The workbench top was painted white about two months ago, just got tired of loosing site of small parts on the dingy bench top.

I'm not a neat freak, something about the law of flat spots in my shop, if there is a flat spot, put something on it.

Old 01-31-2002, 03:10 PM
Dana Acker

Gene, your butt ugly knives look better than my first efforts. You Goeduck guys have a term for uglier than butt ugly?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:03 PM
Roger Gregory

Well I think that's a tidy bench, clean too nice looking knife and potential knives too Gene...

I need to post a picture of my workbench. My workbench is my workshop. Usually covered in tools including drill-stand, drill-woodturning-lathe-conversion, wood, shavings, sawdust, steel, steel filings, solder, smouldering shavings.......

Roger
Old 01-31-2002, 07:36 PM
Dana Acker

Hey Roger, always good to hear from you. How's your forging coming? By the way, your description of your workbench sounds an awful lot like mine. Glad to hear there's more than one of us.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives