MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The "Official" What Santa brought me thread...

OK Folks....here's a thread to post about all the "goodies" that Santa brought you. It doesn't have to be knife related. I'll start out...

-Cindy put a remote start on my new truck for me
-A new set of Mintuoyo Digital Calipers that reads 4 places past the decimal! (needed these bad)

- My daughter always does the coolest things....she went to Home Depot, grabbed one of their 5 gallon buckets, and went shopping. Lot's of little "gadgets" like broken screw extractors, mini micro fiber towels, a little 3 ft tape measure, and several other neat little items that I always use around the shop. What's cool is that she puts a lid on the bucket, sticks a bow on it, and that's it! I Love it!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 12-26-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Steel Addict

Cash! Between my folks, wife, and her folks, I'm sitting fairly well. They all knew I wanted various knife related tools/supplies, they just ended up getting me some money. Now I can pool it all, buy a few smaller things, whatever . On the short list is......

-Finding a used oxy/acetylene torch
-Acraglas
-Nickel Silver and/or 416 SS for guards and fittings

And I'm sure a number of other things will be coming to mind, but that torch would REALLY be nice and likely come close to depleting most of the funds.... Sure is fun to go shopping, though .

Jeremy
Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Master

Our Christmas still tends towards the kids. Our main Christmas was last week because we wanted to include our oldest daughter who was visiting from out of town. I got little stuff, the biggest is a fifty dollar gift card from Amazon, always looking to round out the gun/knife library. I get stuff on and off through the year, so I ask my wife not to go out buy something just for the occasion.

Because our festivities were done last weekend, we had a low key family breakfast and when we had extra time on our hands, I took my boy to see the new 'Mission Impossible' movie on some fancy high tech screen. It had been a pretty good bit since I've been to a theater.

All the best in the New Year, Craig
Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Steel Addict

Bonnie also put a remote started in my little pick-up, and a couple of other goodies. My daughter got me a SST MR Coffee with a thermal pot and a John Wayne wall clock, she said they where for the new shop

Have a great week all

Jim

Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Skilled

I got some cash for shop supplies from my parents. As well as a really cool recipe book exclusively for fish and wild game.

I got a bunch of much needed carhartt jeans and t-shirts from my inlaws.

I got some nice mammoth ivory from my wife.

Emily and I spent most of our Christmas money on our little boy and he had a GREAT Christmas with lots of new toys.

That gift that Mandi got you, Ed, is one of the coolest and most thoughtful, not to mention most useful gifts you can get.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

I friend of mine built me a forge shell. It is a beaut!!! I will have to order the ceramic fabric, but I don't mind that. I will try to post some pictures in the next little while.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6633.JPG (80.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6634.JPG (90.3 KB, 42 views)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

Jim That is a good looking forge shell

Jim

Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Skilled

Got a few gift cards. We spent the day at our daughter's place. Ate lots of good food. Enjoyed my granddaughter's 6th Christmas.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM

This is the coolest thing that I got for Christmas.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

A beginner leather working kit from Tandy Leather Factory, tools, and a 6 foot Oak work bench with drawers and vise (that proudly sits in my room I had to remove my other 2 tables), and cash.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Skilled

Unofficially, I got my pick of the litter puppy. But I also got a museum quality hardwood 1:10 scale working Gutenberg Press. These came out in the 70's/80's and are worth their weight in gold, this one was still new in it's box! I also picked up a few books on medieval illumination, the Book of Kells and 16th Century type casting. (I'm a weird art geek, i admit it)

Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Living Legend

My wife got me a Cannon SX30 IS. I haven't used it a whole lot but the zoom is amazing. Stronger then any 35mm zoom lenses I've had over the years. And the controls are almost the same as my two previous Power shot cannons. It's nice to not have to re-learn all the controls and settings.

Zoom demo.

I built a log cabin music box for my daughter. She collects music boxes so I figured it might be cool to have one dad built. It's 5" by 5" and has two separate music box inserts.

And FWIW the axe is 4140 and the crosscut saw is 1070, both were heat treated. It also has an amber LED light on the inside so when it's dark it has a lantern/fire place glow inside.

More pics

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/f3e0e2a1.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/e09556be.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/7aa24ecd.jpg

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 12-28-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Wow, that log cabin came out great!

Nice job!

Julie,

Quote:
But I also got a museum quality hardwood 1:10 scale working Gutenberg Press. These came out in the 70's/80's and are worth their weight in gold, this one was still new in it's box!
That's a sheet fed printing press, right? Is 1:10 scale a model size, or is it a working desktop sized design?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Skilled

Talking

B. Finnegan wrote:

I built a log cabin music box for my daughter. She collects music boxes so I figured it might be cool to have one dad built. It's 5" by 5" and has two separate music box inserts.

That is WAY cool, what a incredible present, I'm sure she'll treasure it forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin View Post

Julie,

That's a sheet fed printing press, right? Is 1:10 scale a model size, or is it a working desktop sized design?

Alex
Yes, Alex it is a working model of a single pull press circa @ 1490, there are no existing original presses the closest thing they can base any reproductions off of is a 1499 Albrecht Durer engraving. In order for me to make this 'little project' a reality I needed some sort of blueprints, since there are none I figured this museum quality working model that I could reverse engineer (so to speak) and at least I'd have something to go off of. Biggest challenge there will be hand cutting the 5-6" wood threads and cutting the reverse, haven't done that in years and not on such a scale.

The real challenge will be getting in touch with a gentleman who used to work at the Smithsonian who makes reproduction hand molds (for casting the type). I could buy the reproduction lead type for it but its VERY expensive. I'm hoping to connect with him after the New Year.

Ah, Art honor's; got to love it! (and it's NEVER boring)

Tags
art, christmas, custom, digital, forge, guards, ivory, kit, knife, leather, mammoth ivory, post, press, sheath, sheaths, supplies