MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Living Legend

Papo's uniform

Hi guys,

I found out that my Papo (grandfather) was in WWII. I knew he served in the Navy but thaught it was in between WWII & Korea. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until he is in the late stages of Altimer's. Between that & the strokes it is impossible to find any information out about that time. This is one of those things that make you regret not taking the time to ask before.

So I am trying to find out his history on my own. I called my mother to try & get some of his info so I can potition for his records. She actually had some of his records that I can use to help find things out.

She also had his WWII dress blue uniform. I asked if I may have it so I could get it framed. After checking with my Uncles (none served in the military) they had no problem with it being passed onto me.

Here are a couple photos:

The whole jumper. The three strips on the cuff in WWII ment he was an E3 -

Here is the badge that ment e was honorable discharged from what I was able to find out -

And here are his ribbons. I need some help figuring out what they are. I tried serching but I can't find a guide to WWII awards.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWII Uniform2.jpg (11.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg WWII Uniform3.jpg (20.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform.jpg (173.7 KB, 46 views)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Jim,

I found this: http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/nav...ef6cc45d4cdecb

The only one I've identified so far is the top ribbon citation, which is WWII victory citation. Still looking for the others. . .

. . .far left looks like American Campaign Medal ribbon. . .

. . . far right looks like Phillipine Liberation Medal ribbon. . .

. . . and the middle is the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal ribbon.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can jump in here, but I believe the stars themselves are separate merits. It's difficult to tell from the pics, but it looks like 4 bronze stars and 2 silver stars. . .

The bronze stars were awarded for bravery. My uncle went through WWII and had 5 when he came out. He was in Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, and spent some time in the Pacific--Australia and New Zealand, I forget where else. If you got 4 or 5 bronze stars, you saw some rough action.

Last edited by NJStricker; 04-22-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for the info.

Each of the stars on ribbons/medal does stand for additional awards. Bronze usually mean 1 additional and silver stands for 5 bronze.

The bronze and silver star that you maybe thinking about for valor are medals in there own right and are some of the highest awards you can be awarded. Quite often, though not as bad as the Medal of Honor, the awardees didn't live to see them.

With the names I was able to search the ribbons & it looks like the ones with the holes are bronze as the Philippine Liberation Medal could only have two bronze stars. As for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal there were 21 opportunities for this award which is what is displayed in the photo. When I get home I will check the ribbons closer to see what type of stars they are.

When I get his record it will be amazing to see if he was in all 21 campaigns.

Thxs,
Jim

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Living Legend

Here is the Bronze Star & it's Valor device mentioned:

The Silver Star:

From Wikimedia:

The Silver Star is awarded for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States not justifying a higher award. It may be awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S Armed Forces, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism involving one of the following actions:

In action against an enemy of the United States
While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force
While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party
The Silver Star differs from the Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross or Air Force Cross, in that it requires a lesser degree of gallantry and need not be earned while in a position of great responsibility. Soldiers who received a citation for gallantry in action during World War I were eligible to apply to have the citation converted to the Silver Star Medal.

The Bronze Star is another United States decoration which may be awarded for heroism, but unlike the Silver Star may also be awarded for meritorious service while engaged in combat operations. When awarded for valor, the Bronze Star Medal comes with the Valor device. The Bronze Star Medal is often issued to individuals who performed notable accomplishments, but not to the level required of the Silver Star Medal.

Tags
forge, knife