MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Green Beret Knife

I recently bought a CRK Green Beret 7". I really like it but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was just wondering if anyone has this knife and has used it. I am curious about the edge holding performance since the S30V is heat treated to 55-57. Some people believe this is too low for good edge holding. I understand CRK did this to increase toughness. I was just thinking....if they increased toughness at the expense of edge holding, then why even use S30V? At that low of a hardness, wouldn't you lose the edge holding benefits of S30V? What are your thoughts on this?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

The "V" stands for vanadium, and it seriously improves edge holding. It also makes it harder to sharpen. Friends of mine who've used knives made with S30V absolutely love them, but they do remember to keep them sharp. (I have one S30V knife, but I don't use it enough to have an opinion.)

There are a number of fine steels and each has it's trade-offs. S30V is one of the top knife steels. Don't get caught up in worrying about the hardness.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Skilled

55 57 is a nice range. I know lots of folks that want high 50s low sixties. The problem I find is it does stay sharperlonger but when it does start to dull, it also takes longer to resharpen or you need harder sharpeners to maintain the edge. In the mid fifties an edge can be maintained with a good quality sharpening steel and always be easy to resharpen when the need arises.

Tags
blade, knife, knives