MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Guru

Jol, you were posting the same time as I was, thoughts on tattoos going along the same way. I actually think that the crafting of tools and weapons were our first forms of art. As we as a species started to pound rocks into weapons we inherently improved, not only for function, but for form and identification (look at the styles for differing peoples). This led to a self expression and pride that has lasted throughout history to our current time. Look at the knife a person carries and it will tell you a lot about the person.

I also think of all the things that seperate us from the apes, it is art. Language is just arts offspring.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Living Legend

I'll agree that a sword's design is, first and foremost, for killing, but it can open up a part of you that very little else can touch. I've seen the effect sword "dances" can have on a true practitioner. Almost transcendence.

As for the physical effects, there can be little argument on how the sword has changed the world. The ability to forge iron and steel allowed the later Romans to almost walk through their enemies. The few times I've gotten to touch something from history it's like you live it if only for a second or two, like flashes of a battle in a movies. A bit of romantic day dreaming, the past reaching out, who knows? I visited several historical sites in my travels with the Navy in Europe and Asia. You can't help but to connect. Walking through areas such as Istanbul or the Labyrinth in Crete you walk back in history. When you close your eyes you can almost feel the world move back.

And than the #### tour guide yells at you to "Keep up people! Lots to see!"

Jim

Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac
And than the #### tour guide yells at you to "Keep up people! Lots to see!"
And then you wish you had the sword

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Guru

....and then one time, at sword camp, I took a sword and........

My blades keep getting bigger and bigger as well. Like you said, knives do a lot things, but swords were made with a singular purpose. I have some billets that were done as practice pieces for some future blades I have planned this Summer. I have several blades rough hammered in the 12-18" range but want to make several pattern welded langseaxes this Summer with ~28+" blades.

Hmmm...I wonder what the neighbors would say if I started jogging dressed as a Saxon warrior!?

Old 04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I may sound weird, but I think we all have memories. Memories like the flatheads in Clan of the Cave bear. Especially females, who seem to pick magical and mystical icons for their tattoos. Medicinal properties of tattooing are often poo pooed. A friend of mine had arthritus since he was a child. He noticed that when I tattooed him, his symptoms went away for a couple months. Another friend has MS and says her symtoms like joint stiffness are put on hold or reduced with a new tattoo. She has survived 5 years longer than her mother who had the same thing. I have a therory that an immune system gone arwry, will stop attacking itself and move to the more pressing issue of healing the wound.(maybe?) I have often wondered if like wearing a copper braclette to ruduce arthritus symtoms, if a copper implant or (don't try this at home) copper salt in the ink would work for sympom relief. Tattoo "ink" is pure pigment and derived from metalic salts.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Carl. PM sent

Old 05-01-2006, 09:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwp
Anyway, I have always thought the tattoo was the best way for a person to tell their story in a most individual way, mine will tell my story until I die and they light the fire under my body!

--Carl
That's one interesting thing about tattoos... sometimes they tell a story 5000 years old...

...and sometimes they just go up in smoke. A friend of mine died just after finishing a huge Koi backpiece & integrating a bunch of old tattoos into a bodysuit. It was open casket and I just looked at him and thought... but... the art!

I guess there's a guy in Japan preserving whole skins.

Makes me thing I should leave one tiny bit of mine unfinished... like some Dorian Grey kind of Ju-Ju.

jloose.com

Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Arthur Loose
Makes me thing I should leave one tiny bit of mine unfinished... like some Dorian Grey kind of Ju-Ju.
Hmmm, I thought you were starting to look younger in recent pictures

Roger

Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Look for the short story by Ray Bradbury called "The Illustrated Man". Or the movie by the same name starring Rod Steiger. Carl, the anti-hero, has a blank space in his body suit on his left shoulder. It is said if you stare into it you will see your own death.

I have no proof, but I believe the art work was done by 60's pop art poster artist, Peter Max. Sure looks like his work.

The story in a nut shell: Carl, a bored and horny circus elephant dung shoveler, wanders thru a small town looking for some action. He gets more than he bargained for when he meets a beautiful and mystical female tattoo artist, Felicia, who takes him in and gives him a rose in the palm of his hand. "A rose from Felicia, one you can always carry with you" Day after day he returns and lets her tattoo him with the hopes of bedding her.The story starts out, years later, and Carl is telling the story to a young hobo he meets on the road as he searches for her and her little house with the sign out front that reads, "Skin Illustrations."

Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I forget about that one. Gonna hafta read the book & check out the flick.

Just had an appointment yesterday. I'll be updating the journal later today...

Hey Roger- it's the haircut... and the shave. Dropped ten years off the face.

jloose.com

Old 05-05-2006, 11:08 AM

At first, I thought this was one of those, "What if Cat was really spelled D-O-G?" discussions.

Now I see considerable tattoo talk! I shall pay more attention my brothers...

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 05-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Another shot. This one from the movie taken off the T.V. A yoni, I mean, a rose from Felicia.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives