MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Guru

Hmmm...maybe this is the same guy as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...507120602&rd=1

Or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...506909427&rd=1

I kinda wonder about anything being sold on ebay as an antique! There seems to be lots out there. Surly some are "real" and woth the prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...953343056&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...506944006&rd=1

Wait...we have a winner, and this one's in my price range .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...507103233&rd=1

Last edited by Don Halter; 01-25-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Skilled

now that one is funny.a lot like i see on powder horns ,trade silver ,and any number of other "relics". too bad the guy wasn't smart enough to age the date after he changed it from 1959 to 1859. you can find a bunch of "1670" hudson bay tokens for the right price also.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Those are funny and laughable. Why didn't I think of getting a psycic reading on a knife? (obviously ground to a bowie clip from another knife and rehandled by an amature) not real.
I would not trust the Backficsh either. Fighers like this are often cutdown swords that are pieced together from a pile of parts. Ask an expert. The exception is the Patton Saber Knife, which was odered to be made by Gen . George Patton from the calvery swords that were too long to be practical, when they switched from horses, to jeeps and tanks during WWI.

....and the con"nut"icut yankee seems to be target marketing, with the phrase"Still good for the purpose it was made for" (iffin you know any yankees that need a little killin') Not some fancy english style blade, but made by a downhome blacksmith made like the English would make them. WTF? Could be a comedy if it was not such a tragedy. I wonder how hard it was to buff Whitetail cutlery off that blade? The Paci/china dyed cowbone is a dead giveaway.

They are funny when they are obviously transparent. Not so funny when they are written in a believeable way.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Im with you Roc, if it wernt for folks getting taken, it would be laughable, but as the saying says let the buyer beware! It always has amazed me how somthing good (ebay) can be so skewed for folks willing to make a dishonest buck!

Oh well, mabe I could dig thru my scrap bucket and find some "artifacts" !!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 02-01-2005, 06:51 PM

Great thread - Thanks! The realm of knife fakery produces much discouragement - in me and in lots of folks. I remember how outraged I was upon identifying a Scagel fake on eBay some months back (Roc, you remember). I'm also amazed (repeatedly) at how much I 'want to believe' that something exciting, like this 'bowie' is the real deal. Alas, the exploitation of human nature is an age-old game.

With regard to antique Bowies, I've got all the books (and have read them), became a life member of the American Bowie Knife Assoc., attended (so far) one really good show, met some of the key players, formed positive relationships with two widely respected and trusted experts - all in hopes of one day placing one of these historic knives in my collection.

I finally decided to put the whole dream on hold because with so many of these knives you just can't be certain. I remember what I learned about avalanches during my mountaineering years - and it's relevant in this area as well. 1) There are a lot of dead 'experts' out there, who died believing they could manage the risks using 'knowledge and experience.' 2) The only way for certain to avoid an avalanche it to stay well out of avalanche terrain. Assessing risk increases risk. You just can't go there and if you do you're immediately into a risk vs stakes game where the wish to believe you're safe begins a cascade of small errors in judgement leading to a bad outcome.

Sounds fatalistic and negative but what's nice is that, any more, I don't worry about avalanches or fake Bowie knives - because I just don't go there. The mental energy I've saved is now well spent just 'having fun' in the knife world.

These are just my thoughts - maybe I'm wrong or too risk averse. But I can sleep at night, and that's worth a lot to me!
BT

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives