MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-21-2004, 03:54 PM

I was on the phone this morning with my Dad, and when he asked what I thought about "those ivory handled knives of Coop's" I really wasn't sure what he was talking about. (My dad visits the CKDF every day, just prefers to keep a low profile).

So I went and checked and low and behold I found this thread. LIke Darren, I don't how I missed it. Thank goodness for my Dad!

Wow, what a thread it is indeed! You have such a loving and appreciative eye for beautiful knives,...and it shows so well in your photos. These are fantastic, and your newest acquisition is just breathtaking. There's a lot to take in on that knife...I quickly saved all these pics to my "special knives" folder. You can bet I'll be revisiting these photos often. 8o

Thanks for sharing...and thanks for a great read!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 03-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Coop, once again, for the eye candies. I second Buddy's comment about the coffee table book. I am a big fan of Hill Pierces' work and now have a bad case of Pierce Envy. Kevin
Old 03-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Master

That is an incredible work of art. One of the finest knives I have ever seen. This knife shows off the immense talent of the maker.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Coop
Wonderful knives. Amazing

On the Khyber knife there is a ring of lighter colored metal just forward of the back of the bolster. Is this a separate piece or is it part of the bolster and finished differently. I would love to see how that section was done.

As I am writing this I wonder at how one little piece of an overall beautiful knife can just grab my attention. I love looking at the knife but my eye is drawn back to that little section. Once again proving that it is the little things that make the difference.

Thanks
Steve

Old 03-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for drawing MY attention to that area. I've looked it over and over but didn't really pay attention to that area inparticular. It is simply filed into the bolster, but he either polished it or didn't etch it or both. It is very smooth, while the rest has a deeper etch and grain. Simple and effective.

When I talked to Hill I asked about the drilled knob on the butt. Was this a home for a tassle? He thought so, but also opined it *may* have been a way to pin it in a sheath. He wasn't 100% sure, but this was on the original.

I like that little curve in the lower grind just before the bolster. Very subtle and distinct. Not a mistake.

Joss--I sent you a CKD PM.

Thanks guys, once again.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Jim-
Found this picture hiding on my hard drive - I'm a big fan of middle eastern knives and of Hill's work. I have a few othr pics of originlas but what was interesting here is the shape of there, butt with the hole in it almost exactly like the original Hill was inpired by

The T back was used on mail piercing blades, but those blades are also very narrow from top to bottom. One reason I have read is that the weight was kept down by keeping the blade quite thin, yet the T back gave it rigidity.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives