MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Living Legend

Thanks Chuck,

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Jim

Old 12-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Guru

Thanks Chuck, I knew we could count on you for the dirks

Roger

Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Basket Hilts

Chuck,

On the basket hilt issue I used to think just as you do that it was of strictly 17th century origin. However, I was surprised to find that they pulled up a basket hilted sword (not a rapier) with the Mary Rose. That places it as the first known Basket hilted sword and firmly in the 16th century. The following link to the Mary Rose Trust has the info Handweapons - Page 2 of 3. And going back to page one has some nice info on Ballock knives as will as link to a paper written on the subject. All very good reading.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Howdy Scott-
Yeah I guess I should clarify that statement - I meant the basket hilt as used in the Hielands as being 17th century. Even in Scotland there is some evidence of it being in use by the 1580's-1590's. In English documents of the early 1600's there is often reference to the "Ersche (Irish/Hieland)" basket hilt so one can extrapolate a somewhat earlier date for it's appearance. On the other hand in all of the extant pictures of the Elizabethan period Irish wars I've only ever seen the Irish Ring Hilted broadsword pictured.

Thanks for the Mary Rose link - it's been a major inspiration for much of my late Medieval work - I made a few quivers and several pairs of shoes based on some of the wrecks items.
NoTE: they do make one erroneous statement re: the Scottish Claymore (sic). Although the basket hilt is often referred to as a claymore, the "true" Claidheamh mor is a hand-and-a-half sword (used as a two handed sword by ground troops) of distinct style with diamond shaped quillons that end in quatrefoil tips made up of four open circles. The quillon block also extends up the grip and has tongues extending down the blade. It was normally carried sheathed (unusual) on a back strap. After MUCH research I finally discovered the "secret" to carrying such a large sword slung on the back..........Il can do a sketch to illustrate the how if anybody is interested.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 12-30-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Living Legend

Hi guys,

As soon as I get my over time I'm going to order the materials for the making of a seax for myself.

From the information I've read on the forum damascus (pattern welded) steel was used in the middle ages thru the renaisance. Would it be to far out to use thunder forge for the seax? Just the simple twist or would it be better to use the random pattern that damasteel uses? I don't have to have perfect period but I don't want to deal with the looks I'll get from using say a heat colored rain drop. If anyone else has a source they'd recommend for something closer please pass it on. I have about $300-500 range to work on for materials for the whole project.

Another question is what would be a good handle material? I love the oosic that Jon used on severial of his knives, but I haven't seen much that is good and large enough for the handle.

The last question is what kind of sheath do these knives tradionally have? The only sheath I've seen was a wooden sheath posted a couple months ago and I don't even have a clue were to begin with one of those.

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Old 01-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
The Norse patterns I have seen are straight laminates, ladder patterns or twisted patterns. And of course we have also seen multi bar patterns where the edge is a straight laminate and the core bars are twisted patterns (often an interrupted twist that reverses from the twist of the bar next to it).

As for a sheath. The examples I have seen are almost all of leather construction. It is a deep pocket sheath where it extends half way or more up the handle. The sheath seem forms the hanger attachment. The sheath hangs almost parallel to the belt with the edge of the blade down.

Handle material in surviving examples is wood, horn or bone in most cases. Boxwood is used on most wooden handles.

Knives and scabbards. Medieval finds from excavations in London
by Jane Cowgill, Margrethe De Neergaard, Nick Griffiths
(1987), London : H.M.S.O.

this has most of the info you are looking for. also for an example of sheaths goto http://www.arkeodok.com/Knives%20example.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

Last edited by sjaqua; 01-09-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Living Legend

Thanks,

You have recommended this book before and I've really got to get off my butt and get it . Thanks for the other info and the link. I have a book on the Scandinavian style knives and sheaths and it does cover that style sheath.

Thanks again,
Jim

Old 01-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Jim-
Most Scottish Dirks and sword sheath were of wooden core structure with a leather cover. Here's a link to Vince Evans site - Go to the Scottish Dirk Construction and scroll down on the left side to see the how-to on the sheath.
Scottish Dirk Sheath
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...sername=vevans
Vince also has other galleries with lots of pics of Scottish swords and dirks and.....

You can also use a heavy weight vegtan for the liner and then cover with a light weight 2/3 oz cover. ALthough not "period" if you use wood I recommend using plywood (keeps that sword sheath from breaking so easily when you trip over it) and shaping before covering with leather. I just did a post on the Sheath Forum about doing a sword sheath that might help http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....threadid=18532

Contrary to the carry elsewhere in Scotland and Ireland the Dirk was almost always carried forward of the hip in a vertical position. Here's a pic of an Irish Chieftain of a slightly later period, but the style in Ireland and Scotland didn't change very quickly and is keeping with earlier block prints:

I have seen some dirks carried vertically just over the hip as well. The belt attachment was usually nothing more than a leather thong threaded the rear center seam and then tied to the belt via a couple of holes in the belt.

Here's some other links that might be of interest:
http://www.scottishsword.com/
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/dirk.html

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Living Legend

Chuck,

One word for those links.... WOW. Thanks for the one on the hilt construction, it's great. A dirk and ballock are definately in the future. I assume that the handle work is the same technique for all three styles of blades (dirk, ballock and seax) ?

I like the way the the sheath is done. It looks like I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

Jim

Old 01-09-2004, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I heard those kilts used to be shorter. 8o

jloose.com

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives