MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 09-10-2003, 11:04 PM

Hill Pearce knives again...

I'm a lucky guy. First, because I love this knifeworld and second because I have friends, like you folks, who look out for me.

Joss Delage knows that I collect and enjoy Hill Pearce's work. (Hill Pearce is a man whom I talk with regularly, but who stopped making knives about ten years ago. It's a #### shame... ) Well, Joss had his eyes open at the Blade show last June, and spotted a number of Hill's knives on a dealer's table (Dan Piergallini). After the show, Joss sent me a note with some contact info, in case I was interested. Sure thing. I took my time, but I finally called Dan....

He's a pleasant fellow to deal with, and he sent me some scans. I saw what I wanted. Two of the three had my name all over them. Dan knows good knives and understood what these next two knives were worth. He wasn't giving them away...

But, as a dealer, he is eye's wide open for new pieces to trade. I asked him to look around my website for some ideas, and, like I said, he knows quality. He chose a couple of folders of mine that would be worth a trade, plus some cash. I had to relinquish my Dake lockback and Don Morrow's trapper. #### him! Ugghhh. But, both of these two guys are still bangin' 'em out, so I knew what I needed to do... "Say bye...!"

We agree, I send him my knives, and they met with his satisfaction. As they should. They were both top-shelf!

A week later arrives my package. Whoooo-boy! Once again, I was quite pleased and impressed with the work that Hill Pearce had done. Let's check them both out and I'll come back for a chat...

And this amazing folder:

These are both VERY characteristic of the period knives he always strived for. I talked to Hill about the fixed blade: "I didn't like that knife. I made it for an art gallery show in Texas that a number of makers were asked to present some of their best work, in a theme of hunting. I tried to emulate what a German 'jagermeister' (hunting master) might use. Once I saw what Jim Schmidt and Kemal (Murad Sayen/Don Fogg) had brought, my work paled in comparison. I guess I would have liked it fine if I hadn't seen those other guys work..."

I tell you he is one of the most critical artists/knifemakers I have ever talked with. He simply wouldn't stand for less than the best. I'd have to agree that the knives of the former are ALWAYS fine, but that doesn't diminish this piece.

Both of these pieces have ebony or African blackwood handles, and they are in perfect condition. The fixed blade is one piece of his own damascus from the tip right down to the handle. even what appears to be a round wire around the bolster, is simply carved. I didn't get a history on that maple-leaf artifact, but it sure took some work to carve it.

I have no question that his work is/was Mastersmith quality. especially for it's time. But, that's a moot point. Today, Hill enjoys writing, guitar-playing, and shooting in his cabin in Alabama. But not metal-working anymore. He's got no interest in it.

So to complete my tale, I offer you a look at my entire Hill Pearce collection to date: Five fixed blades and three folders.

My Pearce collection

Pearce knives backsides

If you know of any other leads, you know where I am, and where I stand... Joss, thanks once again!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Skilled

Wow, he has to start making knives again.

The first knife really works for me. I wonder why he didn't make the cut-out in the ricasso use a portion of the same shape as the leaf on the butt-cap? Maybe that would be too prissy.

I'll have to send you my one Fogg/Sayen piece to photograph and you can compare them yourself ...

Old 09-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Steel Addict

Simply stunning, as all his work!
Gratulations for another great find.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks Coop! always enjoyable.
Oh, Don posted a new replacement trapper over in the display case for ya.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:21 AM
Skilled

Beautiful knives and a great story Coop - congrats! That fixed blade is right up my alley. So when are you going to set up a display of your collection at a knife show? I'd love to see them in person and I'm sure I'm not alone. Good on Joss for giving you the tip as well.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 09-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Living Legend

Cool score, Coop! You have a very nice Pearce collection, and know I am totally jealous. What is way cool about you having them is the fotography... even though I can't own em, I get to enjoy the work of one of my inspirations better than ever before. Thanks! Enjoy, those are fine additions.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Skilled

Great knives, Coop - all of them!
Congratulations on your latest additions!

Old 09-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Skilled

That's a fine collection. Why did Mr. Pearce stop making knives ?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Skilled

Coop, I just realized that of course you had already seen a Fogg/Sayen collaboration.

I still think Mr. Pierce was unfair in his self-criticism.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

hi

beaut knives

Old 09-15-2003, 01:12 AM

Nice score! Nice knives!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Hall of Famer

nice score, jim.
i agree with gabe - as nice as the sayen/fogg may have been at that show, i don't understand what reason pearce had to be ashamed. that jaegermeister is a beauty.
thanx for the pics.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:17 AM

The first knife is really beautiful! Your pearce collection is outstanding!

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives