MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Skilled

I'm thinking some more, and guessing that scrapers and burnishers were probably used more than we would imagine as well. A burnishing rod would just look like a piece of scrap iron after it's buried for a while, not likely that it would be identified as anything other than part of a scrap hoard. It seems like the hook on a scraper edge would also be unlikely to preserve well enough to identify it as such. The fullers on Japanese swords are finished by burnishing, if I recall correctly, so it stands to reason that other cultures probably would have used the technique as well.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Master

I agree.....the more I learn, the more I believe that they were more than capable of producing any finish they wanted.
I am sure there was the 'lower cost' farmers version that may have just been left as a forge finish as well as the upmarket polished version for the wealthy.
Kevin.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Loose
I believe there have been files found in Viking Age tool hoards and I know that Theophilus mentions making and using files in On Divers Arts from the 1200's.

I'm pretty sure that steel / iron files go back at least as far as Ancient Rome.

Rough cut files really aren't too hard to make... you just need a strip of steel or iron and a chisel.
You were right.......I visited several of the museums in London last week and in the Museum of London there was an original Roman file on display.

thanks.
kevin.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, knife, knives