MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to Blackjack_21 Send a message via Yahoo to Blackjack_21
My latchless BM42...

...or "How To Blow Two Consecutive Saturdays"

For those that have already see the pics, you know the story behind my customization project. For those that don't, here's the story:

I wanted to turn my BM42 into a piece of customized art. I decided the best way was to get rid of that noisy, squeaky latch and go latchless. Easy, until you realize, as I did, that Titanium doesn't like being cut at high speed and with any amount of heat build-up. As tony pointed out, it would harden the metal and shatter a few Dremel cutoff discs. So, I did it the hard way.
With a hacksaw.
Each handle took maybe an hour to cut through, with time allowed to cool the metal before cutting again. Once I got the handles roughly cut, I tuurned on the benchgrinder and shaped the handles to where I wanted them. Problem was, on the bite handle, I hit an air pocket/void. Grinding past it would have left the end of the handle looking like this: |_|
So, I left the ugly void and went to the sanding drum on the dremel and then sanding up to 400 grit. The handles turned out alright after the first day, but the angles were all off, and I didn't get the bevels right. I waited until the following Saturday (sustaining a deep cut in my index finger ), and I reground the ends. The end bevels turned out better, and make the knife stand out.
Well, following the example of a fellow from the USN (), I filed some index marks into the safe handle, so I could have some tactile feedback as to which handle I had hold of. Like the hendle ends, the first attempt was crude and needed work. So, on the second Saturday, I used a round file to round the initial seven cuts, and a small flat file to make six more cuts in-between the original seven. Those cuts I left small and a little shallow to contrast the first seven cuts.
All in all, the prject was a success. I've gotten some nice comments from folks about the work, and am definitely going to keep the 42 as my EDC. Here's a link for all those that haven't seen the pics before:
Click Here...

"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything."
--Tsunetomo Yamamoto, "Hagakure: The Way of the Samurai"
Old 03-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Skilled

Turned out nicely BJ..., nice job on the indexing...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 03-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to Blackjack_21 Send a message via Yahoo to Blackjack_21
Thanks again, Pete. I can only hope my typhoon will look so good.
Actually, my first Typhoon is going to be stock, and I've got to order some washers from knifekits.com to go with it. If I get another one, I'll file on it too. Maybe something like my 42, or maybe something different. BTW, do you remember where that filework tutorial was that got posted on BFC a month or so agon?

"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything."
--Tsunetomo Yamamoto, "Hagakure: The Way of the Samurai"
Old 03-29-2003, 01:03 PM

turorial

Blackjack, look at the top of the page, on the right. How-to's. Lots of interesting stuff there including the one you are asking about.

Tags
knife