MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:29 PM

Still more...

Thanks once again guys. You OUGHT to be jealous! These knives are my very favorites, too.

Since I started this thread I had not one, but two opportunities to score more of Hill's work.

HammerMan, you'll like this one:

This came up on an auction with the seller showing a horrible pic and asking if anyone knew who the maker was, cuz it was very well made. My mouth stayed shut until 'closing' time. And close I did at .06" to go. I stole it. But, on the lower backside there is a small chip of ivory missing from the pin to the tang. Oh well. I may try to repair it when I have the patience and time. It ain't goin' nowhere..! (BTW-I did quite a bit of cleanup to get it looking this good. Rust spots and wax everywhere! Also it's a small one, only 8" long)

I *lost* my second attempt at yet another 'Mexican Bowie' that was offered. Again the seller showed his mark, but offered that he didn't know who the maker was. Very nice antiqued period bowie for the blackpowder crowd, with a sheath by Jimmie Allen.

Well, it serves me right--I was all set to bang in my bid at less than ten seconds, when I clicked on some 'white space' on the page to assure it was the loaded page. Ooopps! I hit the ebay 'homepage' link. By the time I clicked back again, I lost out y .02" Aaaarrrgh. Live by the sword, die by the sword!

I emailed the new buyer, just for kicks, and it turns out he is a noted art knife maker himself (Steve Hill from New Hampshre). we have been in dialog since in a new freindship.

I tell ya, Hill's knives just have good energy!

And to round out this tale, I'll show you my two folders he also made. If you saw my last kit folder, you will see some of his influence in there:

And lastly a link for that middle Med Bowie as a closeup for ya:

http://www.fototime.com/0A3E65C9CC5B3D2/orig.jpg

Whew! always on the lookout!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 06-11-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Steel Addict

hi Jim,

thanks for great pictures of wonderful knives! I don't collect knives by Pearce, but I'm starting to collect your pictures of them!

Thanks, Jens.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
What Jens said. Thanks Coop for sharing those great shots. Hills attention to detail should be an inspiration to all. A true artist.

Old 06-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Guru

What excellent stuff Coop. I hope you keep collecting these Hill Pearce knives and show them to us. There's really something in them which harks back to the better 19th Century Sheffield knives and also something which shows the maker was in the leading pack of 20th Century makers.

Any news on Mr Pearce's writing projects? It might be interesting to see if his writing is as good as his knifemaking

Roger

Old 06-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I *lost* my second attempt at yet another 'Mexican Bowie' that was offered. Again the seller showed his mark, but offered that he didn't know who the maker was. Very nice antiqued period bowie for the blackpowder crowd, with a sheath by Jimmie Allen.
Coop- anyway you can get a picture of that one to post?

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:25 PM

As you wish, Chuck.

Hill got his hands dirty in the riflemaking and blackpowder crowd before he started forging and creating the later, more elegant pieces.

And a third, which I didn't bid on (can you believe it? I was so upset at my bungled loss, I stomped out of the house to cool off. )

Some pretty fancy sheath work in those packages. I thought I heard him tell me a fellow named 'Jimmie Allen' made them, but I'm not positive. Hill didn't.

Thanks for asking.

Roger, good question. Sounds like a followup call should be made soon.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Coop. The man was definitely a master. Although like you I am partial to his belduques this are very nice as well and I especially like that second one that you missed out on.
The sheaths look a lot like a maker I know who hails from Georgia but his name isn't Allen. It would be interesting to know for sure who did them.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Hall of Famer

thanx again, jim. these are real beauties. i am especially fond of the dirks.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Hall of Famer

HEY COOP

Is this your pic? I found it on a floppy we saved when we had to re-config a while back. The bottom shot really shows the size of the knife compared to your emaculate fingernails. How does a mechanic stay so clean?

Old 08-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Hall of Famer

I liked this knife so much I thought i would make a similar one. When there was nothing to compare the knife to, I was thinking they were big sword like gouchos. The first one I hammerd out, 10 1/2" seemed too small so I started a bigger one. OOPS, Do you think I went a little overboard?

Old 08-01-2003, 07:27 PM

Hammer,

First off, my fingies get pretty dirty regularly--but I DO try to use latex gloves these days.

That first collage is VERY deceptive, The bottom pic is distorted in size. The actual size of that knife is an exact 12" OAL. My second white ivory version is a smaller 10" version.

As to your raw forges--I like them both, and BIGGER is BETTER!

Thanks for posting!

Coop

Old 08-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Coop, now that I look at them, my feeble attempts don't belong on the same page with those beauties.
I wear latex gloves everyday in my job. I keep a box on hand at home for whenever I have to touch filthy and revoting things. That is a good tip for everyone here. They are great when useing epoxy or wood stains. pull em off and the mess goes right in the garbage. Another good spot to keep a few pair is in the car. Emergency car repairs on the way to dinner, or helping out if you see a wreck can keep you clean and safe. I bet there are a hundred more uses also.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Registered

Coop, you need to get hammersnipe here
I use it all the time. I'm not sure how much I've saved by sniping but it's the only way to go on eBay.

Tags
art knife, blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives