MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Alex, maybe we could take a couple of those melted-down servers and forge them into some internet damascus!

Those of us who have had any interaction with you at all know how much this must have been a strain on a guy who takes so much pride in customer service. We're just glad this patient survived!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Alex

Glad Knife Network is back, thanks must have been a real ordeal. Get some rest.

Gene Chapman

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Thank you, guys!!!!

I have a lot more to add to this nightmare brief. But right now, my job is all about staying focused on the current problem (our customer connectivity), on the extended immediate fix (monitoring our os environments 24/7x32) and prepping our systems and customer data for the long-range upstream provider transition that we're about to make.

I'll continue to use this board as a communication point to make sure you guys stay informed throughout this process.

If you hear of anyone running the bus over us, don't let it hurt your feelings. I've been out here for a long, long time, and remember when people used to call and ask us, "what's the phone number to your internet site?" The funny part is, we actually had an (bbs) site that had a phone number that you had to dial to connect to back in the day. I've seen it all, from 150 baud until today!!!!

Here's the good news.
We're 10 days away from a permanent, long-range fix for our infrastructure. Once this is behind us, we'll hash out what happened, when, where, why and how we can plan to avoid it in the future. After that, we'll "lock & load" on the knife industry. What most people can't appreciate is that we manage over 550 domain sites in the knife industry alone! We didn't build that from free publicity from Blade, Tactical Knives or others ... they've never mentioned my company by name in over 10 years of service. I've paid them $1000s per month for advertising!! ... for years!!! They can't afford to ask me what I know about the impact of the internet on knife sales. It would kill their advertising business!!! ... I'm not making and launching magazines, that's for sure!

The truth is, the AV network is the 800 lb. gorilla of the knife industry on the internet! I think the time is approaching that I let it out of the cage. I've had my ass chewed for 7 days straight by people that depend on the internet for their living. The funny part is, I got most of them addicted to taking internet $$$$ orders for less than 20 cents/day! I think the real story remains, "AV has made me $1000's per day on less than a $1/day investment, for years."

My immediate goal is simple ... improve my infrastructure.

Talk is cheap!!!

I just hate it when my friends have to defend me to people that have no clue about what we do!!!! That's the worse part for me personally!

But I thank you for it, all of you!!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Steel Addict

Has to be an awesome responsibility to virtually(no pun intended)hold peoples' livelihood in your hands.Seems like the right feller's driving this train,though.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin
Here's the good news.
We're 10 days away from a permanent, long-range fix for our infrastructure.
Alex this is not going to put us down for a week again is it, I certainly hope not. Just thought I would ask, I am trying to deal with unhappy customers as many others are trying to do and I don't think I can handle being out of business for that long again. I know you and your team are doing all you can and I will stay with you as I appreciate the service we get and I do understand this problem really is out of your hands. Again I hope the rest of this goes smooth. Thanks

www.turnerknives.com
Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Thanks a million for all your hard work, Alex! I can only imagine ho much longer this would have taken to get fixed if you hadn't been handling things for AV clients. Looking around at comments on articles about this Navisite thing, I see that a lot of non AV folks are still having problems.

jloose.com

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

OMG! Someone who actually REMEMBERS the term "baud"! So tell me, Alex, were the dinosaurs really as big as they say??

It was Rixon that busted us out from under the Bell patents when they came out with a {gasp} 1200 baud modem for less than $2K. Ah, the good old days; they weren't always that great!

I don't know that we're defending you, Alex. I'd say we were lending support. And I'd say it's well deserved.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Skilled

Hey Alex!

I've been busy all weekend but decided to check in this morning. It feels a little like Christmas.

Thanks for battling the beast for us. We appreciate all you do.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Skilled

Alex,
I'm in the same business as you and I can appreciate all the hard work you do. Knives and wood are my hobby and passion, but computer work pays the bills. Anyway, thanks for keeping us afloat most of the time. A lot of people don't realize the dozens of time a DAY that people like you PREVENT disasters before they affect the clients. Sometimes the sh*t hits the fan and you can't prevent it. That's when you really see what people are made of. You're doing a great job, keep it up.

-Dave

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives