MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 05-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Registered

Blade Show receipts?

Hi, folks
I'm sorry my first post here is a question, but I did a quick search and couldn't find much.
I happen to have met many of the members here at shows, and purchased knives from them (so I'm not a newbie). I hope to meet many more of you at this year's Blade Show.
My question is:
Is it ok to ask a maker for receipt of payment for a knife (or can a customer supply a hand written receipt to be signed by the maker)?
Thanks

p.s. (I know all the makers are going to be really busy and this may be an inconvenience, but for the customer it offers proof of ownership).

Old 05-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I think it's fine a ask for a receipt. I sometimes get strange looks from customers when I ask them...."Would you like a receipt for that?" For me it's a way to keep track of not only my knives, but it sure makes things easier when tax time rolls around.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-26-2004, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to prometheus
I would have to say that it would be fine considering sometime you are talking about thousands of dollars.

William
Old 06-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Master

Being Canadian, if I were to go to an American show I would require a receipt for when I took the knife back over the border. Customs wants to see receipts for the things you bought while out of the country. I would certainly expect it to not be a problem for the maker to provide one.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

No problem at all asking for a receipt, whether it's at a show or an order being delivered. Some of my cutomers request a receipt for orders being delivered. Most don't, but I have no problem preparing a receipt for those that want one.

Any signed and dated materials such as a receipt, Certificate of Authenticity, etc. "can" add to the value of collectibles down the road. It provides a type of history on the knife.

Also, as you said, a receipt can be used as a proof of ownership.

Another reason for a receipt is for placing a value on , and proof of the value of, the knife for insurance purposes.

If you are at a show, and feel nervous about asking for a receipt from a maker, turn it into an ego thing. Make him think that you want the receipt for his "autograph".

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Skilled

Terry is correct on all accounts. One more thing to point out, is that if you are shipping that piece anywhere and the worst should happen, a copy of the dated receipt, proving it's value, in both parties hands could mean the difference between collecting on the insurance or not.

Unless the customer is taking the blade with them at time of payment, I get rather uncomfortable without giving a receipt. This is the same reason I cannot take money up front on orders. My conscience has never allowed me to have somebody else?s money without giving them something in return. I am lousy at keeping up with e-mail, but if you want continuous non-stop communication from me, give me money and ask me to ship a piece to you when you get home. You will get a receipt as well as documentation via e-mail as often as I can until the thing arrives at your door.

This may seem a bit harsh, but to be honest, I would be a little leery of any maker that would not gladly accommodate such a sound, logical request.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
I cannot imagine selling a knife without providing a receipt. Taking someone's cash and not putting the transaction in writing seems shady to me.

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com
Old 07-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Skilled

Randy, when did you move? I thought you were in CT?

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
Jerry: I moved in the summer of 2001. That's when I went full time as a maker.

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives