MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 08-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Skilled

Primos "gents" bowie in Damascus

Sorry for the quickie, but I must!

I have recieved a bueatiful 6" bowie made from 15n20 and 1084 with a desert ironwood handle, filework (I knew you could do it Terry) and mosiac pins made from copper and stainless. The steel was actually made by Terry in Jerry Fisk's shop. It is a thing of bueaty. I wish I had a picture, but on the other hand if I took a picture of it you couldn't see it for the spittle. The sheath is a thing of bueaty as well.

Terry it is amazing. I can't believe you don't have your MS yet.

When I get the photo's I will post 'em.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Steel Addict

Man, talk about cruel and unusual! Post a nice, descriptive thread about a knife like that, and NOT post any pics. You need to be flogged with a wet noodle!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Skilled

I don't have a digital camera. I have to find someone who has one and borrow it.

You should see the cable damascus Katana I just got from Wally Hayes!

Old 08-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Master

If you can't post pictures, don't start threads like this. It is cruel and unusual punishment.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:05 PM

OK, Terry. Let's go. Where's the pic!!?? We all know HE has a digital camera and is prettttty darn good with it. Filework?? Hmmmmm.....

Nice score, Jerry!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Coop,
Actually I'm hoping that Jerry gets you to take a shot of it.

I'll tell, I must have taken 20 shots of the thing and I just could not get a good photo. At one angle you can't see the shimmer in the Damascus. At another angle you can't see the activity in the ironwood. Try another angle and there's a reflection of my mug in the guard.

I finally just gave it up and shipped it off to Jerry. Tell you what, I'll hesitantly post a little pic that turned out "sort of" okay. But you'll just have to imagine the knife looking better than the darned photo.

What little bit I had picked up about shooting knives has evidently been lost, and the old 1.6 megapixel Sony just ain't cutting the mustard any more.

Jerry,
I'm delighted that you're happy with the knife.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Steel Addict

nice!! paul

Vintage knives to military monsters..and everything in between!

www.The-Distinctive-Edge.com
Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Terry...

That is absolutely the companion to my personal tactical from you... Blade/handle proportion, lines... and even in this pic - awesome looking damascus...

Jerry, we've not met, at least even on the web, and while I'm new here, I've had the pleasure of owning one of Terry's knives... and yours is stunning... Most excellent rendition of the size range and style I've found myself collecting!

Thanks for sharing... Both of you!

Old 08-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Guru

Great knife Terry. I'm glad you caved in and used the picture

The filework is a nice touch and I like being able to see the quench line.

Good score Jerry, and well done for making Terry do the filework

Roger

Old 08-09-2003, 08:48 PM

That's the spirit!

Looks good from my house. Terry, your work just gets better and better! Congrats to Jerry for a smart purchase!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Steel Addict

####, that bowie makes my Primos "Mountain Man" knife look kinda ugly! Oh yeah, it's SUPPOSED to be that way.

Terry, that is one of the nicest little damascus bowies I have ever seen! I'm surprised that my buddy Roger P. Hasn't piped in here yet with his comments.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Steel Addict

Beautiful! Superbly done, Terry!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Skilled

Hi Terry,
Thanks for posting the picture, but more thanks for making the knife. What amazes me most about this knife is how light and fast it is.

This knife like most of the knives I have has a story to go with it. This story is about talking to the knifemaker and letting him make what he wants (up to a point ). I originally wanted one of Terry's "El Camino's", but of course (I have to be difficult, I think it's the New Yorker in me, but maybe not) I wanted it my way. Which is to say in Damascus and around a 6 inch to 7 inch blade, with filework and mosiac pins. At the time Terry did not have any Damascus made up and he expressed concern with the filework. There where also discussions on handle material, but that got resolved pretty quick. So instead of making me wait Terry offered to make one of his regular steel El Camino's (1084, I think) and I accepted. Well a little while later and Terry calls me and he says that basically the El Camino is ready, but he is going over to Jerry Fisk's shop to make up some Damascus, he'll get a buyer for the El Camino if I pass and do I want one in Damascus. Well of course I jumped at the chance (and quite frankly if I had not just bought a car at the time I would of bought the El Camino too). Terry told me no problem and he would make it. So I could have gotten the first knife, but this was just to good of an oppertunity for me to pass up. Especially since this is what I was looking for in the beginning. Terry warned me that the handle from the El Camino wouldn't work to well with this size knife and basically the design just morphed into a 6" Gent's Bowie (6 1/2" to the guard) Damascus (15n20 & 1084, made at Jerry Fisk's Shop) 416 stainless steel guard, Arizona Desert Ironwood handle with steel and copper mosiac pins. The spine of the blade has filework from the false edge (it's not sharpened) to the front of the guard. It also came with a reall great leather sheath that has a basket weave pattern in the center between the stitching. Terry, that's a real nice sheath too! I also got all the info on the knife on paper with Terry's disclaimer that he made all of it (except that he made the damascus at Jerry's shop, Please note: Terry made the Damascus he used Jerry's equipment to do it.)

The other thing of course is that Terry was always in communications with me, which I can't praise enough as that and the fact that Terry remembered what I originally wanted let the project morph from one into another. Terry was even concerned that I was waiting too long (I've got a few e-mails of his concerning that) and I told him what I tell all knifemakers that make me stuff. Take your time, keep going until you are happy with the result. Generally knifemakers are there own worse critics. If Terry made it so he was happy with it, I knew I would be happy with it. And I am!

Terry, thanks again
Coop, We have to talk I have a few things that need photo'ing.

thanks on the congrats everyone, but to misquote Les " I did my homework" and knew I would be getting a grand addition to my collection.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Skilled

Whoa - that's simply awesome! Congrats to you both!

Cheers,

Roger
Old 08-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

very nice! thank you both for sharing.

Tags
blade, knife, knives