MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Skilled

Ok RAY. My first leather sheath.

I have never worked with leather and I had no tools or supplies. I followed Rays advice very carefully. No tooling, saddle stitching. Etc. There were 2 tools I either missed or they weren't on the very carefully made list. Amazon will deliver an edger and a groover on Wednesday. Then I will try again. Here are some wip pics and finished pics.

Comments and help welcome. There was a slip you can see when I tried to lay out the stitches without the right tool. Other than that I'm happy with it.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That looks like a very credible first effort. I don't remember if we discussed those other tools or not but I was trying to keep it simple. As you proved, you can make a nice sheath just using the tools you have now. The other tools will add some sophistication - there's always something more that can be done. You can add some edge skiving to what you have along with that grooving tool you mentioned. A nylon burnishing tool and some Gum Tragacanth will improve the finish on the welt. There's always more ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Skilled

Well done Ricky !!!
I'm hoping to start the same adventure next month
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 AM

Pretty good "firsty" Ricky. Just like learning to make knives, you will get even better with practice.
One easy on the eye thing you can do is remove all the harsh corners - ins and outs. Curves and radiuses are just easier on the eye.
You can "break" the corners along the edge and burnish the welt at the same time using your belt grinder and a worn 220 belt. Just dampen the edge well with a sponge and let it set a minute, then work it over with the belt running at medium speed. Too fast will burn the leather. This gets very easy with a bit of practice and is very fast. You can also make an edge burnisher to run in a power tool out of wood. Maple seems to work best. Old wooden thread spools on a mandrel or go larger for a buffer using an old rolling pin. Just fit to spindle and tighten, use small rasps or round files to cut various size grooves for different thicknesses and shapes. So easy you wouldn't believe it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Hall of Famer

A nice looking knife from what I can see. A great stitching job and not just for a first try. What I couldn't see from the pictures is whether or not there is a welt between the front and the back of the edge. If there is, you're in great shape. If not you have a dangerous sheath that will eventually allow the knife to cut it's way through the stitches.

I don't know if it's anything more than aesthetics but I like to sew my strap on as a separate piece. That way I don't have the flesh side of the leather showing. Though it is something you will have to remember to do before you fold and sew the edge of the sheath (don't ask).

Doug

Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 AM

Agree with Doug about showing flesh side, but figured that'd be a future change.

Doug, I think I see the edge of a welt sticking out in the "Clamped before sewing" pic, so didn't mention it (pretty sure Ray would not have left that out in his instruction/tutelage).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Master

Nice First Ricky , now cut up that Kydex and use it for spacer material !!! Lol !!
When I clamp my sheath together for drying I use little scrap pieces of leather for clamping , smooth side of scrap to smooth side of sheath, less chance of 'clamp' marks on the finished leather....as for the flesh replies I like both looks and if I do go flesh up for the strap or the back of the belt loop I always apply snow seal and melt in with heat gun , then a burnish leaves it with a real nice 'different' finish , a nice contrast that can blend nicely with tool stamping on the sheath.....just my 2 bits , good job buddy !

Rob

Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Skilled

You are doing an awesome job!

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Skilled

Thanks for all the comments. Yes it has a welt. Also I got a nylon edge slicker but the groove is only wide enough for 1 layer of leather so I couldn't do the edge. I must be missing something there on how it works. Or perhaps I ordered a wrong wheel.
If there was one thing design wise I could change it would be the double stitch line. I did it to get double practice on the technique and because I saw a sheath with double stitch I liked. But it makes this sheath too wide to my eye.
Not a big deal tho.
I have an idea for a sheath I will try today if my edger and groover show up. I started a kitChen knife last night on a whim so I may wait till tomorrow. Also thanks for the tip on clamping BCROB I new the r had to be a technique there.

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 12-31-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

There is a burnishing tool that is a nylon flat bar, not a wheel, that works well for welted edges. Or, you could try any of the many excellent suggestions from earlier posts on making your own burnisher in whatever size and shape you might need ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Master

Ricky I threw my wheel in the misc box of junk as well , for the edges I used a polished antler and some tracanth from Tandy , works excellent
Ps no need to polish antler , it will get there very quickly from this application technique
Not ''the way'' , just another that works , so many options , you'll find what you like

Old 01-01-2015, 06:48 AM

Although on larger sheath and holster projects I use the powered wheels and belt, my quick grab on the small stuff is just like Rob's - a well worn antler tip and some gum tag. Any clean hard surfaced item will do. I've seen bone folders made from nylon, micarta, different hardwoods, antler and of course bone. They all work.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
advice, art, awesome, blade, buffer, easy, edge, files, grinder, instruction, knife, knives, kydex, leather, leather sheath, made, make, maple, mobile, nylon, sheath, simple, supplies, tools, wood