MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Master

I actually bought steel

I finally actually bought some steel, I visited a knife supply store and picked up some O1 and some 1095. I was hoping to get some 1050/70 and some 5160 too, but they didn't have any in stock and they were a little more expensive then I expected.

I wanted to try out some known steel, so I can more easily identify scrap and so I'll know what I like when I start buying steel more.

I don't think I'll buy steel from this place (Koval) again, though I'll likely get lots of other stuff there like handle and guard material. They only carry flatstock, which I don't care for as much.

With round or square stock, by the time you get it knife sized it's already pretty much knife shaped too. With the flat stock you need to shape the blade but it's already thin and cools quickly.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Good for you. If you heat treat that O1 correctly, you may like what you get so much that you may lose interest in messing with unknown scrap steel........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Master

AWP,

Have you tried Admiral Steel in Illinois? I just bought some sword stock from them. I bought a 10ft. long piece of 1075 in 1/4 by 3" flat for $80. They are very reasonable on most of their stock. Their inventory and selection are massive. Customer service is quite good too. They know how to treat people. If you need a good future supply source i would recomend them.

One thing you will find when you really get into the knife market is that there are often better places to shop than the "knife supply" places. That's one thing many people are not told when first starting out.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to singertat2 Send a message via Yahoo to singertat2
i went steel shoppin today too at three different metal suppliers here in vegas and all i could come up with was somthin they called T1 and some hot rolled stuff in different varying widths thicknesses and lengths if it was worthless at least i'll get alot of practice behind my files and grinder!!

Tags
blade, knife