MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Guru

Oops!!!

Hey y'all, worked on a blade yesterday and thought I had a winner:

But when I closely looked at it I had a cracked blade about halfway back :

Oh well, back to the drawing board

Seriously, I got too thin on my grind before I HTed the blade. That's what makes this interesting...Bud
Old 12-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Master

know what you mean bud- sent raymond some pictures of a knife i made that [ after being finished] developed two fine cracks along the edge. had this blade laying around for about 2 years, had hardened it i think 3 times before it got hard enough, then for some unknown reason left it lay around for awhile before finishing. this time i didn't test on a brass rod to see if it was drawn properly and you guessed it- i don't think i ever drew it back. the part that makes me so mad is it had these 3 different hardening lines [after i dipped it in ferric cloride]. it looked beautiful untill i started chopping 2x4's- then the cracks. oh well, just one to keep and show, and remind me keep notes. paul
Old 12-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Paul that reminds me of the Book Mark Bowie at some time i had placed a bowie blade in a book that no dought i was reading at the time i found it years later not remembering even building it nice damascus blade .checked it out on brass it was good .finding a blade that has set for a while can be fun
ron

Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
by the way Rifelman dont feel to bad if this is your first one .some steel just refuse be a knife . lots caN GO WRONG twist ,crack, bend ,to soft to hard chip roll,
then they are those that come out good
nice blade to sorry you lost it
ron

Old 12-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Skilled

Checking a blade on brass? Would one of you fellers please be kind enough to elaborate on that? What are you looking for by doing that? Hardness? Cracks? Very interesting because I have never heard of that technique.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Higgins
Checking a blade on brass? Would one of you fellers please be kind enough to elaborate on that? What are you looking for by doing that? Hardness? Cracks? Very interesting because I have never heard of that technique.

Jeff, the brass rod test is thus:

Clamp a brass rod horizontal, then lay the blade, pependicular to the rod, resting on the edge only (at a very shallow angle) THEN, applying JUST enough pressure to distort the edge, draw the blade towards you (ACROSS the rod)

You SHOULD see the edge distort & then return to "true" If it chips, regrind, up the temper temperature a notch & try again!

If it doesn't return to "true" (ie, it stays distorted) Re-heat treat & temper at a slightly lower temperature!

Hope that helps

Col

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!

Tags
blade, knife