MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 PM

Disc Sander question

Hey Guys,
I'm going to make a disc sander and was wondering what HP motor will be enough for a 9" disc. Trying to keep the price down and was thinking a VFD and 1/2hp would be good enough.
Thanks for any input.
Scott

Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM
rawcustom

I would go 1hp, 3/4 min.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree, 1hp minimum but it seems like a waste of a vfd to me. But, maybe you already have a 2x72 grinder with a vfd on it. If so, go for the disk if that's what you want. If not though, build yourself a 2x72 and stick the vfd with a 2hp motor on it. 3 phase motors can be had pretty cheap so the motor shouldn't be the expensive part...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Master

I'd have to agree with Ray as well.........a few years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a fancy disc vfd bells and whistles setup but after watching a local seasoned knife maker use his I thought the big money could go to much better use (like another 2 x 72 , mill, anvils etc ) but still wanted and need one.......so I utilized a spare 1 hp 1750 in the shop , put a $20 frwrd reverse switch on it and bought a 1 degree bevel disc for $90 from Fink and I'm into for about $150........I use it every day, great tool and cheap, does everything the fancy setup will do....just my 2 bits is all, good luck with your shop addition........keep us posted !!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM

disc sander

Thanks for the advice you guys,
Rob, I do have a 1hp single phase 1750 rpm, will that be too fast setup direct drive, or do I need step down pulleys? Ray I have a KMG with a 2hp baldor single phase with pulleys, I always run it on the slowest speed seems to work good for me. Attached a couple of pics of my bench.

Last edited by hartswave; 04-20-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's a pretty nice bench! Since you have a primo grinder adding a disk, if you want one, isn't a bad choice. The 1750 single speed motor should be fine for that. After you use it for a while you'll know whether or not going to the expense of VFD for the disk makes sense or not. You might even decide that a disk really doesn't do anything for you that can't be done as well on your KMG. If that should happen you'll be glad you saved the money and if you love it then you can add the VFD if you still want it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM

Where's your dust collection system? Mighty small space not to have something removing and collecting the dust. It is and will be detremental to your health.
You'll really need it if you add the disc grinder.
ps - shop looks to clean for me.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 PM

disc sander

Thanks Ray, will for sure keep that in mind, haven't pulled the trigger yet, cause I just finished retro fitting a band saw to variable speed. It will run from 100sfpm to 1900sfpm. So it will cut metal or wood, actually kinda cool. Carl thanks for the question, the grinder is almost totally enclosed in a small area so pretty much all of the dust stays in the enclosure. I also always wear a respirator when grinding any material be it wood or metal. And after a grinding session the mess that's left gets vacuumed up and the bench straightened up. Believe me when I'm working there's tools and stuff strewn all over that bench.
thanks you guys
Scott

Old 04-10-2014, 04:18 PM
rawcustom

I wouldn't run it direct at 1750. I like the disk for truing and finish work and direct at 1750 is too much speed, too much heat and you'll get shorter life from your paper. I run a pulley set up at 50% and 30% from a 1750RPM and spend most all my time at the 30%. You could also run on the smaller size of motor since you are gearing down the power.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Skilled

Nice looking under-the-bench setup. Good use of space and sit down grinding to boot. I like it.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 PM

disc sander

Thanks Dan,
My ole back isn't quite what it used to be, so sitting and grinding works out well. Measured out so my arms rest right on my knees, makes for a very steady platform and great control.
Guess I kinda learned that from my TIG welding days in the aerospace industry.
Scott

Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Skilled

Back when I first started using a disc I only had a 1/2hp 1750 rpm 1ph motor. I used it for quite some time, like 7 years. Then I got a 1hp DC model. Oh what a difference. The VFD is not wasted on a disc. I now have a 1.5hp 3ph wired to a plug and VFD. I just change the plug to run my 2x72 KMG clone, One of 2 discs. or the buffer. It can be kind of a pain if I am in a hurry but then I would just screw something up anyway. BTW I used a disc exclusively for 20 years. Just made the KMG clone a few years ago.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartswave View Post
Thanks for the advice you guys,
Rob, I do have a 1hp single phase 1750 rpm, will that be too fast setup direct drive, or do I need step down pulleys? Ray I have a KMG with a 2hp baldor single phase with pulleys, I always run it on the slowest speed seems to work good for me. Attached a couple of pics of my bench.
Nice setup Scott but I agree with Carl , a little small of an area for no dust collection.....something to think about , as for the disc running at 1750 , it's perfect for me but everyone is different as you've already received a few different opinions, use what you have and try it , you can always upgrade down the road , that was my intention but for the past few years have felt no need to change......good luck with it

Cheers
Rob

Tags
2x72, advice, back, baldor, band saw, bevel, boot, build, collecting, grinder, grinding, heat, knife, made, make, material, metal, motor, sander, shop, tools, welding, wood