MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Guru

My apologies on corrosion resistance.

I have been looking through some statistics on some high end "super" steels for corrosion resitance and 440C isn't the best by a long shot. Dave of Dtech was right about the CPM S30V steels and 20CV or M390 have 20% chrome in them and are probably the most corrosion resistant knife steel there is. You have to go to steels that are not as hardenable to beat it. It is a good steel for knives if its stats are any indication. Alpha Knife Supply sells it. Does anyone have any experience with it?
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zda...teelS-M390.htm
Old 11-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

S30V is my primary stainless for about half my knife making life...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Guru

I'm buying some from Jantz for 1 "x 3/32" by 36" and am buying 2 pieces possibly more as Jantz for that size is cheapest (only that size). I will be going to Fl. and when I go down there I have no problems selling filet knives. Hidden tangs all as when I went to Damon's and tried to get the scratches out of the Chef's knife made out of S30V with 400 diamond compound on 400 grit sandpaper it was very abrasion resistant even with the diamond.

I have purchased some SC belts to mix with the diamond to finish them when they come back from Peter's HT as I am not going to do much grinding on them before, about 80% and holes on the end of the hidden tang to pin a 10-32 screw onto for a nice pommel. I may use stainless for guards and pommel, but I usually use brass.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Guru

hey guys I haven't been on for a couple days been busy came on to ask a question and ran across this first...JIM yeh from the 3 steels I was talking about (440c, 154cm, cpms35vn) the cpms35vn is by far the best the 154cm is a lil better than 440 from my research but the s35vn is far ahead. I have never used s30v but have been told from a couple people that are definitely trustworthy in reality they are pretty close. even tho it has a more complicated HT than 440c well what I did following rays advice took a piece of stove pipe maybe 2 feet long and I think 3-4 in in diameter I nailed it to the wall verticly and the seem I left open about a inch and put a hook right at the top. so I quenched in oil first just for a couple seconds till it stoped boiling then quickly took it out hung it on the nail in the stove pipe leaving the edge out toward the open seam and used my air compressor with a nozzle set to 40 or 45 (I cant remember) psi ( I think since it says 2 bar min anything above 30 psi is good) then just sprayed the air up and down through the seam right at the edge....I thought it was going to come out a lil off as I have never done a pressurized air quench OR a 2 part quench. and actually it came out really close to what I wanted testing on the hardness tester proved this, so did the second blade I did in this steel. I was surprised usually I don't have that good of luck with doing something first time. when I tried the 154cm first time it was a lil soft second one a lil less soft before I do another with that I am going to do some testing with coupons first...

Tags
440c, back, bee, blade, blades, brass, cpm, diamond, edge, file, grinding, guards, hidden, htm, knife, knife making, knife s, knife supply, knives, made, making, s30v, stainless, supply