MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Steel Addict

New tools

I got a 5HP 30 gallon compressor and hose reel. Next week Im going to HF to get that table top sand blaster cabinet cheap one anyone use that model? and what bags of grit will I need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comp.JPG (43.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg HOSEREEL.JPG (40.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

What grit you'll need depends on what job you plan to do . If you plan to blast scale off your forged blades then you'll want the coarsest grit you can get and probably more continuous high pressure than your compressor can provide (90 psi continuous). If you want to use sand blasting as a way to put a gray finish on your blades then the finest grit you can find is better. You can also use a coarse grit at low pressure for finishing but the fine grit makes a nicer finish.

You might see glass beads there too but you probably don't want those. The only effective way to use those that I have found is to first mirror polish your blade (heck of a lot of work) and then blast with glass beads at low to medium pressure. This give a very nice looking soft cloudy gray finish but it's a finish that is easily damaged. Good for display knives, not so much for practical use.

When I bought my grit from HF they had it in 50 lb buckets. I bought it 14 years ago and I'm still using the same bucket of grit. It mostly stays inside the cabinet as long as you don't have a dust collector attached to it. To be fair though, I don't use either of my blasting cabinets very much and when I do use them it is only for finishing and never for removing rust or scale except in the most minor of situations...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-23-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Skilled

Always nice to get new stuff. It's amazing how often a sand blaster comes in handy. I have access to one and I'd like to get one to have on hand. What do they run at HF?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ray, If I dont have enough continuous air Ill make a fitting to combine my gas powered rigid with it The rigid has 10cmf@90 Ill see how it goes.
ricky the cabinet runs a little over 100 bux and I hear needs some simple mods
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM

If you have a tractor supply close by check out the table top blaster. I prefer it to the harbor freight one. Not as many mods needed.

Tags
blades, collector, forged, knives, make, mirror, polish, sand, simple, supply, tools