MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: What do I have to do to sign up?

Send me an email at knives@rayrogers.com and I'll give you the details ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 PM

The first entry is in and it's a nice one! You might want to bookmark the page to make it easy to keep up with the entry page as it fills out:

http://www.rayrogers.com/kith_bird_and_trout.htm

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Guru

Hey guys so I am just getting started on my KITH knife. So I have been doing a lil research on them. I myself have never been bird hunting. And the fishing I have done things were thrown back unless we were out on the ocean and we got something big. But I haven't done that since I was very young and cant even remember cutting anything up (probilly my dad or uncle did that. So First person I asked was my uncle he re inforced what has been said here a skinny knife that can get into small spots. He also told me some of these knives have a gut hook but not the semi sharpened hook that you find on some blades just a rounded rod bent in a hook to pull the guts out. But he did say most of his don't have the hook he usually just reaches inside and pulls out the guts by hand. Now he doesn't know anything about knife making. I was trying to get a feel for how hard these knives should be. So I cant think of anything hard these knives would hit and have to worry about the blade breaking. So I should be able to make the blade pretty hard and not have t worry about it right? Like I said I have never used a specific bird and trout knife and didn't ever do much hunting and fishing (I used to fish on local lake with dad but everything got thrown back) So I am kinda reling on you guys that have had and used this style of knife to give me a lil advice. As I said I think I can make the blade fairly hard without a problem but I want to make sure I am not missing something. I don't want the knife to break on who ever gets it just because I failed to realize a use for these knives
Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 AM

There are a couple of examples of B&T knives in the first post of this thread. The exact style is open to your interpretation.

Hardness can be whatever is appropriate for the steel you use. It doesn't need to be exceptionally hard, in fact, most field knives should be fairly easy to sharpen in the field....

Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Guru

At first I was thinking about making a small piece of Damascus for the blade but I decided to do what I am good at and use s35vn. But your right I didn't think about sharpening it in the field with s35vn 59.5 - 60 and above its much easier to use a good diamond stone wich isn't usually in the field so I will go a lil lover than that then
Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Guru

I carry a diamond in the field Dave, a 600 grit small EZE Lap from USA Knifemaker. I give them away with some knives as they are less than $5. They have 400 grit too for a little more.
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-makin...grit-fine.html

Last edited by jimmontg; 05-18-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Skilled

Dave, I don't think hardness is much of a factor. Typically a "Bird & Trout" knife just describes a smaller knife, typically with a nice slender blade. Not intended for slicing through bone or heavy work. Of course "smaller" and "slender" are subjective terms. One man's "smaller" or "slender" may be crazy large to another. Again, just a matter of personally preference. I'd be humored to know how many "Bird & Trout" knives are actually used to clean trout or pheasants! Most knives meant for hunting big game or cleaning birds, is way too big IMO. Don't take much blade to dress out a deer and even less for a quail or eviscerating a trout.

Just make a nice pretty little knife the best you can and anyone will be glad to get it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Guru

Ok thanks guys I think I am going to make it around a 59-59.5 and call it a day,....I got some thoughts for it should be nice. Ill put up some pics when I get a lil further into it. I am leaving for after the blade show to finish
Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Skilled

Hey guys, unfortunately I'm getting really busy and I have to prioritize some other stuff over a knife for this KITH. If I manage to scrape one together by the due date that's great, but as of now I'm backing out of KITH unless something changes.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:17 PM
Guru

Sold my 1st KITH attempt.

But I had an old piece of D2 HT'd and thought "why not?" So here are some pics as I'm not sure I should submit it. It is .100 thick and who said you can't get a mirror polish on D2? Yes it started as another knife and I lost the size in grinding, but for a bird and trout knife? It is perfect. Bit of a convex grind after hand polishing with diamond on leather, but a near mirror polish is possible with D2. Just some elbow grease with 5,000 grit diamond paste and it isn't perfect mirror.
If you look closely at one of the pics you can see my happy mug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kith 001.JPG (77.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Kith 002.JPG (69.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Kith 004.JPG (63.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Kith 005.JPG (70.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Kith 006.JPG (83.8 KB, 29 views)

Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Looks good so far. D2 is horribly resistant to polishing but you've managed pretty well I'd say. The biggest complaint I've heard about polishing D2 is that the polished finish has an 'orange peel' texture to it rather than being smooth and clear. As far as I can tell from the pictures that doesn't seem to be the case with your blade but maybe it's just too subtle for the camera to capture. In any case, it'll work just fine for the KITH ....

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-25-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Guru

LOOKS GOOD JIM!.......Just like the sheaths you made me they are great!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Guru

Thanks guys, it's the diamond that is able to put the polish to it, a buffer won't do it without the orange peel effect. I guess it's just the slow hand polishing that does it is all I can say. Plus diamond cuts into the metal better than anything.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Heads up! There's about three weeks left for this KITH, time to start getting those pictures of your finished projects in. Pictures should show your knife and sheath in a horizontal format (no artistically angled pictures, please) against a plain background. Include a ruler in the picture and be sure to specify the steel and handle materials you used ...

Old 06-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Guru

Should have mine done next week....

Tags
2017, blade, blades, build, choose, easy, finish, flat, flat grind, grind, heat, heat treat, hollow grind, kit, knife, knives, kydex, leather, scale, sheath, show, simple, small, steel, trade