MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Driver and maybe prep chef, but you get to be the executive chef and finish it off.... Since we still have to fill one more roster, maybe you and I can do 3 jobs since Andy has already voluteered for 2. I cold send you a finished blade ready to rock and you do up all of the fittings. That would, in theory, give each of us 45 days from the start time. That will also make it easier on everyone to fill out the 3rd team. Comments anyone? That would leave you damascus mangling guys the chance maybe to do one stick tang (like the KaBar inspired knife someone was talking about in here...hint, hint.....lol) and one full tang knife from Del's steel. i propose another possible idea. In the spirit of Del's generous contribution, how about we allow people from different teams to maybe do some horse trading of any obscure and exotic raw materials AFTER they decide what their design will be. The no crosstalk with you own team members rule would also apply to other team mebers disclosing what they swapped. Anybody game? These are going to be some fancy knives (translated,,X-PENSIVE raw materials if yo have to run out and buy them) and if any of us have some cool stuff lyiing around the house, like Del's steel, those osage orange fenceposts or some of my crazy wood collection, wrought iron anchor chain and silver wire, that could be fun and save some time and money. The trick would be how to keep the info about what you might have on the QT from your teamates.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Who's on first?

Ok. From Joe and Andy's conversation, I gathered that they were basically willing to split the chef duties between them, making this a three stop knife. Cool! That would be fine. That means #2 is a go!

Derek, I plugged you in as the Doctor on #3 since you said you could do a handle. If you want to do some filework, go for it!

Knife #1 (full tang / Ealy damascus)
Driver: Andy Garrett (this design will not require a guard)
Chef: J. Scott
Doctor: Jim Drouillard
Tailor: Carl Price

Knife #2 (forged carbon)
Driver: Joe (jdm61) Indicates he is willing to HT if the chef would tackle a guard
Chef: HT done by Joe / blade finish done by Andy S.
Doctor: Andy Sharpe
Tailor: Andy Garrett

Knife#3 (forged Ealy damascus)
Driver: Carl Price
Chef:
Doctor: Derek Parker
Tailor:

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 02-08-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:12 PM

Joe we cross posted, but both said the same thing.

As for the horse trading, Awesome! I like it!

Scott, If Robert Dark is your brother in law, then I know you have the tools you need to work whatever I send you. Could be hollow, could be flat..., we'll see

BTW Roberts new plowshare #2 was down right spirtual for me. Guys, check it out in the display case!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 PM

BTW, I have stabilized ancient Kauri. RARE!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Hall of Famer

I think that pretty well say's it.Joe,Andrew,we be makin a knife.
Andrew I could personally use a small piece of that Kauri.About a 1"x1.5"x5".What would be the price on such a piece

Old 02-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Steel Addict

wow, thanks for including me.....i am already anticipating this knife. luckily i have time to get my skills better.
andrew, could you tell me what the ancient Kauri is? maybe a pic? never heard of it before.
thanks again guys, im really excited for this one.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Guru

Andy, I have looked at getting some Kauri, how do you like it?

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Derek,heres' a link that tells you about Kauri
www.ancientwood.com
neat stuff

Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 PM

I heard about ancient Kauri on the History Channel. As long as 50,000 years ago (that would be 48,000 years before Christ walked the Earth to put it in context), Giant Kauris (which were big like redwoods) grew in New Zealand. They fell into swamps and sunk into to oxygen free pete where over the millinea, They were encased and preserved, free of decay. All the years of O2 free ground water washing through the wood grain creates a unique 3d shimmer similar to tiger's eye. It's not as exotic looking as some of the crazy burls we see around here, but the warm shimmer has entranced me for life. No picture can show that shimmer--you have to hold it. My EDC has a kauri handle.

In recent history, farmers in New Zealand were trying to level their fields and when attempting to break down these humps in the ground, found giant trees! They are actually mined now and then the ground is returned to normal for minimum environmental impact.

Kauri is a protected species of tree in New Zealand now and the grow nowhere else. Hence, ancient kauri is quite rare in the grand scheme of things and kauri lumber is as pricey as any wood you can buy and more so.

I did some research and found only one US importer. I bought a 'chip' of root wood for good grain activity and made my EDC with some of that. I also talked Dave Peterson into getting in touch with them and he bought some great stuff too. He had it stabilized and I have only two small pieces from his batch and some of my own unstabilized private stock. Dave may have more--he had it for sale in the classifieds not long ago.

You can read much more about Kauri and buy direct from www.ancientwood.com
They are great to work with.

Andy, My kauri is cut into scales. If that works for you and you wanna do some trading, let me know what ya got!

My EDC - unstabilized kauri finshed to 1000 grit and rubbed with tung oil (kind of a dark pic--sorry)

www.kansasknives.org

Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Unless there are objections or changes, I think we are a go on #1 and #2. We still need some people to step up on #3 if it is to happen. I'll be the tailor if no one steps up by the 1st of March.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Have some nice stabilized Box Elder burl scales.Also have some Girraffe bone.scales
Are the scales stabilized?

Last edited by ranger1; 02-08-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Some of the pieces of Kauri on that website almost look like amber from some angles. I may have to grabme a piece or two to add to my excessive exotic wood collection. Anybody from team 1 or 3 can drop me a line and i will tell you what i have but remember......its a secret....shhhhhh
Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 AM

I've got it both ways Andy, but I'll take official inventory when I get home in the morning.

My unstabilized stuff has the best figure, but it's not as dense as most handle material. I need to send it to WSSI, but it's already cut into scales. I just need to make my own stabilizer.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Steel Addict

thanks for the link guys. that looks like some REALLY pretty stuff.
ive already got ideas runnin through my head, but its hard to plan without seeing.....oh well, just means i have to play with more handle material.....oh darn
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Guru

Andy,

If no one wants to "Chef" #3, I can take both of the first two steps on. So if no one steps up by the 1st of March, I will "Chef" it too.

I think I will fire up the forge this weekend and do a plain carbon feel out run for this one. I have a steel that matches Delbert's damascus piece, and this will give me a feel for how I want the lines to fall out.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives