MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:49 PM

sheath carry question

i am currently working on my design for a sheath which i will post later, but i am considering some things in the design:
1)a sheath where the belt loop would attach by the mouth of the sheath, causing the knife to ride high up. i understand this would make it out of the way, but what about comfort in sitting?
2) a sheath where the belt loop is located at the end of the handle, and the handle is fixed in this position. the only problem i have with this that it might hang too low, but it also would be out of the way when im sitting? (i think, correct me if im wrong) by this i mean, the handle wouldn't dig into one's back.
3) the third option would be much like the second, but the knife would be secured by the mouth of the sheath, not at the top of the handle.

which option do you prefer and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? thanks for aiding in my quest for a high quality knife+sheath!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:50 AM

You will need to find the answers to all these questions for yourself, throu experience. Due to body make-up, posture and daily action levels what works for me, or some one else WILL NOT WORK WELL FOR YOU.
I`ve been working with knives and carry systems for over 30 years and I still have not found that perfect sheath. What I carry in the bush is not what I carry in the city. (ain`t found that perfect knife either)
So, happy hunting! It can be a lot of fun looking for answers, if you don`t mind the frustration.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

On many occasions, when trying out a new design, I will create a mock-up using light cardboard (like the kind used for cereal boxes or manila folders). It usually only takes a few minutes to trace out the pattern and staple it up. The mock-up calls attention to my design flaws, and in the process, saves beginners like me time and materials.

Good luck, -Alex
Old 01-21-2004, 11:36 AM

thanks for the tip alex

Old 01-21-2004, 02:41 PM

I like a horizontal carry sheath, because its less imposing and it doesn't interfere with bending either at the torso or the leg.

However if you happen to be leaning against things like chair backs the sheath/knife can dig in.

Size matters also of course. I use a small pouch sheath in horizontal for my daily carry folder. I don't go anywhere without it. (OK airports are bad idea these days, but most places its ok).

For large camp kinves I like a torso mounted sheath that doesn't get in the way of packs etc. Often I hang them from the front straps of my packs that way thy're accessible and don't limit mobility. For personal use I always still have a folder so I'm not concerned about being separated from my pack and knife.

Whatever style you use I would say that protection and secure fastening of the knife are paramount. The coolest sheath in the world is no good if the knife falls out/gets lost/damaged.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 PM

i agree Rapt, thanks for the input.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Masscar...

I'm just down the road from you a few minutes..

Drop me a note

ericn@mnsi.net

ttyle

Eric...

Leading the Way in
Quality, Custom Synthetic Sheathing

Tags
knife, knives