MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Living Legend

engraved steve hoel folder

just off of the bench .. This Steve Hole coffin handle folder is gold inlayed and deep relief engraved . your comments are welcome . we learn from critiiqueting from others and we get better ..

Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Living Legend

you will see that part of this folder is not finished ..i took the photo before it was done ..

Old 03-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Living Legend

Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Skilled

Looks great Ron. I really like what you've been doing with your scrolls.

Jeremy

Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Living Legend

Thanks Jeremy . You will get a chance to see this knife in the real when i see you in n.y. on sat.. ron

Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Steel Addict

Ron, The over all flow of your scroll is pleasing to the eye but one thing I noticed and you may want to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. You use cross hatching on all your leaves of your scrolls , the cross hatching goes across the whole shaded area giving it a flat look. Try only using cross hatching near the edges of the leaves and where you might want a shadow, this will give your shading depth. A partner of mine used to do the same thing as you and I told him when you look at the engraving from a distance it looks like a bunch of spider webs, he understood what I told him and now his scrolls look much better. This is just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong!! It's just what I see when I look at your scrollwork. Keep up the good work and I hope you try to see and understand what I'm saying, None the less nice work!!

D?Angelo Engraving

Wayne A. D'Angelo
Old 03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Living Legend

Hi Wayne ..Thanks for your comments it is well taken I never noticed it that way and I will be looking to use your suggestions on the next job I do .. This is what we all need I look at comments as a way to become a better engraver .. thanks again .. ron

Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Steel Addict

your welcom Ron, I hope we can all start giving our opinions with out being offended. This is how we all get better. Just rember tho....they are just opinions!!! does't mean there right or wrong

D?Angelo Engraving

Wayne A. D'Angelo
Old 03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Ron,

I would agree with wayne. and also offer a related suggestion. To get a "livlier" look in your shading, consider trying to only let every other shade line be at the full length you have now, so the shading is lighter farther out. Then as the lines get closer to the darkest area, have then get more dense, and a little deeper. Also, you may want to cross hatch a bit in the darkest areas. The cross hatching can get progressively heavier and closer together also.

These technigues will give a variety of "values" to your leaves.

I have also seen some pieces shade from a direction, as if the light was coming from one direction, instead of shading each leaf "academically", or just in relation to its place on the main body of the scroll.

I have seen some of your work come throuh the shop at DTR lately. it is looking real nice!

Take care,

Tom
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Living Legend

Hi Tom .. Thanks for your suggestions and wayne i agree with you .. Tom you should have a parker action that i am working on when it is finished it will be back to dtr for the finial finish .

Old 03-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

yeah Ron, I really liked the scroll on that parker. very clean and smooth in the cutting. The Gold looked real good too. I only got to see it for a few minutes before someone took it to work on.

It is nice having a bunch of guys around to bail me out. yesterday, i was working on an LC Smith, recutting the LC Smith on the side plate. I had the scope way up, an as looking at the space between the M and the I. There was a faint mark that looked like the cross bar of the H. i thought, I can't believe i missed that part of the H! This was a recut, so i thought i was seeing the faint remains of the old lettering. It turns out that i just connected the right side of the M to the I!

One of the other guys welds a little piece of metel into my mistake, and then polishes it out. I little touch up, and I'm back in business.

I can't wait to see the parker when you are done!

take care,

Tom
Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Living Legend

Thanks Tom for your comments on the Parker .. I have been working on this gun for about 3 yrs now and i cant wait to get it out of my show . you seen what happened to the frame as i was trying to gold inlay it . i never in all of my years of engraving seen any thing like that ,i hope i dont run into the same thing on the other side . I dont do lettering, i get a lot of request for it but turn it down and your problem is one reason why . it is more difficult to repair lettering mistakes then it is on scroll engraving .

Old 03-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Master

Ron, I like the pattern on the Hoel. I also am benefiting from the comments here. Thanks for showing it and thanks for the comments guys.

Joe

Tags
knife