MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 08-04-2002, 10:45 PM

DCI Drum Corps--what a night!!!

Folks,

Susan and I just LOVE watching precision marching bands (That term is a NO-NO in this world--it's Drum Corps!!!) Marching Bands are for high schools!

We drove over three hours to Philadelphia yesterday, to witness a competition of (11) Corps in performance. It was held at U-Penn's historic Franklin Field in the heart of Philly. DCI Corps limit age to 19-22 yrs old. This is Olympic-quality presentation! Each Corps puts on a theatrical show that lasts for just over 10 minutes. The formations and precision by the Players and 'Color Guard' (flags and dancers) is breathtaking, and the music they play is complex and diverse. They practice and perform every day since May, and are on the road till the finals next week in Madison, WI.

The winning Corps this week were our favorite--the 'Cadet's' of New Jersey. Second place was the 'Blue Devils' from California. (they are front and right-center) The Cadets put on an American tribute to the 2nd World War effort, with thematic music from the forties and military. The final crescendo ended with a formation of the Iwo Jima flag raising pose. Tears and tingles were EVERYWHERE!!!

Now--as a treat to you, I took a series of 11 individual photo's in sequence, and my 'Image Expert' program 'stitched' them all together for one LARGE panorama. What you are seeing is the awards celebration at the end with the individual Corps in formation, and the Drum Majors (conductors) for each in the front row, receiving the respective awards. This was at 11:00pm Sat eve!

There are over 1200 performers on the field!! All the brass combined to play a rehearsed combined version of 'America the Beautiful' and 'O'-Canada' (sp?). I can't describe the sound of 700 horns in tune and harmony!!!!! WOW!!!

Check out this BIG picture!!!

Now--check out the guy with the green shirt and camera--he was moving, and appears four times! Is this cool, or what??!!

Coop

(we stayed over in Philly, and went to the Science Museum on Sunday, and waded in the fountain!)

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-05-2002, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Coop,

You missed the big Hot Rod & Motorcycle Hoo Ha in Worcester ( Woostah ) Mass!

I went there to see some bands and was pleasantly surprised to see about eight million vehicles peeling out and burning rubber...

Saw some fast bikes...

jloose.com

Old 08-05-2002, 09:52 AM

Coop,

The sound of a good Drum Corp really gets your blood pumping! That finale must have been something. You usually only get to see these guys in parades and then only for a second. A whole show must be something. Thanks for the pic (isn't panorama software great!)

J,

Sensory over load on vehicular activity and way too many people! Musta been interesting.

BTW- I stayed home worked on knife and went shooting Sunday morning. But I had fun!

Bob Sigmon

Tags
knife