MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Steel Addict

Tight Belt Loop

Hey all,
I'm usually over in the newbies arena but have really started to enjoy making the sheaths even though the thread work is tedious. The last sheath I made I am really proud of even though I see plenty of areas for improvement on the next one. One in particular is the belt loop which I didn't wet form to any size belt this time. When pulling the knife out the sheath wants to "creep" up on the belt though this has lessened some since getting broken in to the knife. What's the best way to prevent this? Wet form, insert...etc? The sheath is stained and I've coated it with leather balm (Atom Wax) so if I were to wet form would I need to remove the wax to get good penetration of the water?

Another question: I used a stud fastener with leather strap on this one. Is there a nice simple way to prevent the leather strap from getting nicked/cut by the blade upon removal/insert of the knife?

Thanks,
-AlanR
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR
Hey all,
The sheath is stained and I've coated it with leather balm (Atom Wax) so if I were to wet form would I need to remove the wax to get good penetration of the water?

Another question: I used a stud fastener with leather strap on this one. Is there a nice simple way to prevent the leather strap from getting nicked/cut by the blade upon removal/insert of the knife?

Thanks,
-AlanR
Answer: Yes, remove as much as possible, but keep in mind you spent a lot of time trying to waterproof that sheath so it will now be a bitch to wet form.

Answer # 2: the most simple solution is to remember the strap can be cut and exercise due caution when extracting and inserting the knife. In the future always locate the strap over the spine of the knife if that is an option. Also if you are in camp or someplace where the knife will be used a lot in and out, you can probably tuck the strap into the belt loop and keep it out of harm's way while the knife is in frequent use.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Paul. After the fact, I had thought about going over the spine but I see so many that are on the edge side that it just made me wonder if others have this problem or have a fix for it. I'll debate with myself over whether to try to wet form...it's not too bad now that the sheath has been broken in a bit.

-AlanR
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Skilled

I like placing the strap on the spine of the sheath on nearly all of my knives that I don?t use a pouch type sheath on. It is not hard to do at all. The guard unwraps the strap as the knife is withdrawn from the sheath and the strap is out of the way while replacing the knife in the sheath. The knife is also held very securely by the strap wrapping the handle.

Tags
blade, knife, knives