MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 AM

can anyone help?

Hello. I'm new to the site. i live in kentuy. I'm wanting to find someone to cut me some blades out of 1095hc. i have my own patterns. please let me know if you can help. thanks. bones1964
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Steel Addict

It's not hardened yet is it? If not it should be fairly easy to cut your pattern close with some basic tools depending what you have available.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Thanks redstickjp but I'm looking for someone who has the steele they can cut me some blades out of. i guess I'm wanting someone to make me knife blanks out of my patterns.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Again, you didn't say 'why' you want to have that done. It matters to us because we're all about making knives ourselves and experience has shown us that if you are interested in making knives as a hobby having a number of them cut out like that is generally a bad idea.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to manufacture knives then that could be a different situation. In any case, there are outfits that will do that. Use the Search feature on this forum and look for 'water jet'. That should lead you to one of the most popular outfits. I'd tell you want it is but, honestly, I can't remember because we just never do that ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Thank you mister rogers. i am a taxidermist by trade and wanted to ad some knives in my shop to pic up some extra cash. I have only made knives from big sawmill blades and i truly respect you guys for making such beatiful knives. thank you for your response
Old 07-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Skilled

It will get expensive to have them made that way. Your better off buying the knife kits and putting them together. I'd expect you'd be in them at around $30 a blade (having them cut)just to start. In the world of knifemaking you either go big or do it all yourself. lol.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM

Bones,
As James said, that is an expensive way to make a small quantity of knives. One of the bad things I found about doing blades that way is that after you finish a few, feel them, use them, get some customer feedback on them you find out you need to change the design but you're stuck with a bunch you already paid for. Aside from that, it gets boring pretty quick when you keep making identical knives over and over.

Cutting out the blade is the least time consuming part of the entire process anyway - assuming you're using good blade bar stock instead of saw blades. I can cut and profile a 4" hunter in 5 to 10 minutes so that's about all the time you would save by having them produced. That's significant if you were mass producing but its nothing if you only need a handful of blades.

Take a look at knifekits.com or most any other knife supply outfit. They all carry pre-made blades, already shaped, heat treated, finished, and sharpened. All you need to do is add a handle and a sheath if required. That is likely to give you more profit margin than having your blades cut out for you. If you do decide to go back to making your own blades, try some good blade barstock instead of the saw blades. There's a world of difference ...

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 07-04-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:16 PM

Ok thanks guys. didn't realize it be so expensive. i'll order me some steel and make my own. lolany suggestions on steel? i was thinking 1095 ? just making some skinners. thanks again
Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 PM

If you plan to do the heat treating yourself then 1084 is usually what we suggest. If you plan to send the blades out the 440c stainless is usually the most economical to get processed. There is a sticky thread about heat treating your first blades at the top of this forum, it might help you to look through it to avoid common first time troubles ...

Tags
art, blade, blades, blanks, case, easy, hand, help., hobby, kits, knife, knife kits, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, pattern, shop, show, steel, supply, teach, tools, trade