MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Question New here with questions

Hello all from Asheville NC! OK so my questions are what does HT RC and HRc mean? Brand new to knife making and just have no clue what this means. Also I have just completed my brake drum forge and ready to start on my first knife. I'm not sure weather to start with knife steel or a file? The blacksmith instructor at a college I deliver to told me a non case hardened file would be my best bet for my first knife. Also would I be better off using coke or coal? Any input on these subjects is greatly appreciated!

A few pics of the brake drum forge I just completed.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome, J ! There aren't many here who use coal forges but hopefully someone can help with that part of your question. If not, try posting that question in one of our other forums Like Ed Caffrey's forum.

We often say HT when we want to abbreviate 'heat treatment'. HRc or simply Rc is shorthand for the hardness of a piece of steel as measured on the Rockwell C scale. Basically, any reference you see to hardness as it applies to knives will be a Rockwell C number, usually in the range of 54 to 63 for a normal working knife.

By far the best way to start is with a piece of known blade stock like 1080 or 1084. Your instructor is right that a non-case hardened file would potentially make a good blade but unless you're certain you can tell that the file isn't case hardened you'd be better off spending a few dollars for good steel. Avoids a lot of problems.

Seems like a nice job on the forge. Eventually, you'll probably realize that a propane forge is a lot easier to use and can give better results. If that day does come, lots of guys here can help with questions on propane forges ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
art, blacksmith, blade, brand, file, forge, forging, hand, knife, knife making, knives, make, steel